Smaja's story (22, NW2) *Pics*

Smaja

Reaction score
Hi there,

I posted this initially in the general section but I think it turned into more a "tell your story" post.

I'm 22 and for the last few years I've had a pretty bad case of folliculitis that the derm has finally managed to clear up. I'm not counting on my problem being related to that but one can hope. Ive always had a high forehead and I'd consider myself a NW2 and have been since about 16. I am mainly worried about the fuzzy look of my frontal hair and crown. The wierd thing is most of my individual hairs look pretty healthy and thick its just that the concentration seems to have decrased.

Also I have a similar hairline to my dad who says hes always had a big forehead bigger than mine even, and is only starting to thin at the ripe old age of 60. My uncles on my mom's side are a little worse off but only started thinning at about 35 and at 50 are NW4.

I've ordered a 6 month supply of Proscar and nizoral but since the ladies are still willing I'm not too keen about the side effects but I will definitely give it a go. I really dont want to go on minoxidil as my scalp is sensitive.

Oh ya, I'm using some Green Tea Extract and Saw Palmetto while I wait for my finasteride to arrive, living in Africa means this may not happen but I'll cross my fingers.

Here are some photos of my predicament. This is as bad as it gets I've just been for a riding session so my hair is oily and sweaty from wearing a helmet. My hair looks better than this even when wet. What do you think?

Here you can see red dots which are healing white heads from my folliculitis.

Hair on a good day:

Hairline at 17(5 years ago) I may have receeded about 1cm since then. I dont have the confidence to buzz it like in the second photo.

My Current Regimen:

1xGreen tea extract per day
1xSaw Palmetto per day
3xEvening Primrose oil per day
nizoral 2% twice a week
Betadine anti-bacterial shampoo twice a week
Volumising Shampoo every other day

Soon to be included:

1.25mg finasteride might cut that down to 0.5mg if I get sides.

Smaja

Reaction score
I buzzed my hair cause I was tired of looking at it constantly. I must say it feels great and I'm less conscious about my hair.

This is a pretty scary photo it seems worse than I thought.

On the upside I got told I look like like a badass cause I'm also a big guy 6"4' and pretty muscular. So I'm feeling a little better and may postpone the finasteride for a while.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Smaja said:
On the upside I got told I look like like a badass cause I'm also a big guy 6"4' and pretty muscular. So I'm feeling a little better and may postpone the finasteride for a while.

well you will probably regret it and will look like a big pretty muscular bald guy!

Buzz cut is not going to make hair loss go away.. Do your self a favor and get on finasteride - you will thank me later.

cleverusername

Established Member
Reaction score
yea dude finasteride works really well for the top of your head. Buzzed look works well for you and if you get on finasteride it will make it easier to measure how effective it is. Get generic proscar and it costs you like 10 bucks a month so you have nothing to lose. You still have almost all your hair might as well take advantage of the situation in case it gets worse.

I'm a strong supporter of the generics of both finasteride and minoxidil especially after seeing all the people having success with them on here. Being in Africa though I'm not sure how customs treat overseas packages but hell I live in NYC the most paranoid city on Earth when it comes to overseas mail and my fincar from India gets to me no sweat. Give it a shot man.

Smaja

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, yup you're right I shouldn't get complacent when my hair sometimes looks okay. I will jump on 0.5mg finasteride as soon as it arrives.

I ordered 30x5mg fincar from United Pharmacies two weeks ago and so far haven't got anything. About two thirds of my online purchases that come through normal post actually make it to me. In fact the only items that are guaranteed to get to me are books, the thieves at the South African Post Offices/Customs don't value that type of stuff. I might just visit my neighbour who is a doctor and convince him to give me a proscar script, it'll cost me twice as much for a 6 month supply but its hardly a lot considering what I'd be willing to give to keep my hair.