So Confused and Don't know where to turn or what to do?

ruger240

Reaction score
I'm going to try and keep this as short as possible so please bare with me and know I truly appreciate if you make it through this. I'm a 25year old female, I have a one child and I am diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. I have always had thinner and finer hair with a more oily scalp but it has gotten worse. I'll try to make a long story short to how my hair loss came about. Almost 3years ago my ex husband and I split up, we had been together for almost 10years and it was excrutiating and I noticed I had a little more hair fall. However, my hair was still fine and was able to wear it down with no issues. I ended up hitting the gym and lost some weight (I was over weight) and met someone amazing and with in being with this person for around 3-4months he asked me one day why the part in my hair went back so far?! I had noticed it but didn't think it was that bad, but from there it just got worse. (I've gained that weight back and have noticed it is harder than ever to lose any weight at all!) Please remember at this time I was still under quite a bit of stress from arguing with my ex over our son etc,.. as well. Anyway, fast forward to now almost 3years later and I have all over scalp thinning and at the back of my head is pretty well thinned out to the point you can see my scalp. :( I haven't been able to wear my hair down again since that day he asked me about my hair a couple years ago besides at first I could wear it half up but now, I cant even do that. I'm fortunate he understands and has been wonderful through all of this.

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism last year and stayed on my meds for several months and honestly got annoyed with taking it that I just quite for several months. I know this is bad and my hypo symptoms just got worse, so now I have been on my meds consistently for almost 2months and plan to never stop it again. But, my hair loss is only gradually getting worse. My scalp is overly oily, I get acne sometimes, I get hard bigger pieces of dandruff/dead skin? sometimes stuck to my scalp and I have to pick it off (Sorry for TMI but I'm just trying to share the truth), It itches and is annoying. However, I dont have that flaky dandruff that is falling everywhere or is even visible on my hair. I have to wash my hair twice a day especially if I'm going somewhere because of the oil.

I talked to my endo and gyno and they both told me to take my thyroid med and I will be fine, I personally do not feel this is the case. My gyno ruled out PCOS and Endometriosis as well.
I had noticed I can SLOW the hair fall if I use "bronners" soaps for shampoo (which is a 100% organic oil based shampoo) and then water/ACV mixed as a rinse and then apply 100% aloe onto my scalp a few times a week. My hair fall seriously slows tremendously, itching stops and much less acne/dandruff and it makes me wonder if I'm not only having clogging but inflammation. You are probably asking well why don't I just continue this? but its the smell, My scalp holds the smell so terribly. I rinse out well and have tried not mixing so strongly too, but I can move around and notice the smell on myself. It isn't STRONG, it's faint and my fiance' notices but says it doesn't bother him but I'm self conscious about it elsewhere like work.

Is there some solution I'm missing? Should I see a dermatologist or? Like I said I have always had this sort of problem with a oily scalp but not extreme hair loss until a few years ago. Is there any certain tests I should ask for? My gyno did do some like testing for levels of testosterone and the levels were normal, but I'm just at a total loss. I would like to see a homeopathic dr. but I can't afford it. My insurance will not pay for it either sadly. I'm just so tired of feeling like this.

I've now changed my diet back around to eating healthy it's been months in the making, just making small changes here and there but I am eating more fruits and vegetables and making better choices as a life style change and not just a 'diet'. I'm trying my best to drink as much water throughout the day as I can but still have my 1mountain dew a day :/ (it was 3-5 a day :blush:). I would appreciate any help or advice anyone could give me. I'm just at a loss, my Dr's. just seem to want to say that the medicine will take care of it and things will be fine. I go to my Endo next week, she is brand new since my dr left the practice for a bigger practice, so I'm hoping possibly she is a little more open minded.