so I have some spironolactone pills

whitemogs

Reaction score
I have 2 bottles of 25 mg spironolactone I wanted to put it in a shampoo maybe... can I just smash it up and dip it in the shampoo(any shampoo works right?) do I use the whole 25 mg bottle or two?

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
spironolactone is not water-soluble. It probably won't work.

"Spironolactone is practically insoluble in water, soluble in alcohol, and freely soluble in benzene and in chloroform."

Putting it in a solution of alcohol and then adding to the shampoo might work. You can also make chloroform but it's carcinogenic so I wouldn't' recommend it : ) Can you purchase a topical product that is designed to be applied topically? It would be more likely to work and you don't have to worry about the chemistry.

P.S. This is the same reason that Minoxidil is put in a polypropylene glycol solution. It's not soluble in water.

CCS

Reaction score
shampoo has lots of emulsifiers in it. detergents if you will. saying you can't dissolve spironolactone in shampoo is like saying you can't dissolve body oil in shampoo.

1000mg of spironolactone per 1mL of shampoo = 100%. You want about 2%, so 20mg per 1mL. If your shampoo is 200mL, that is 4000mg you need, which is 160 pills, if they are 25mg each. Or for 1%, use 80 pills. And grind them very very good before adding them.

If you want the spironolactone to last more than a month, and not degrade noticably, you should lower the pH to 4.3ish. 4-5 even should be OK. Use artificial lemon juice for that. I don't know how many drops, and it depends what kind of shampoo you are using. But i'm sure 3 drops would not overshoot it, and a tea spoon would probably be too much.

Some guy on here is giving me 50g of spironolactone powder, so I'll mail him a pipette and will pH test the shampoo he wants to use so I can tell him how many drops he needs to adjust the pH.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
i have some left over 25mg spironolactone pills too. i crushed and pop them into a some baby johnson baby cream. should be about 2-3% mix. it mix really well and smooth into the cream with no trace of powder left unlike using alcohol which have lots of pill filler at the bottom.

CCS

Reaction score
Private Ryan said:
i have some left over 25mg spironolactone pills too. i crushed and pop them into a some baby johnson baby cream. should be about 2-3% mix. it mix really well and smooth into the cream with no trace of powder left unlike using alcohol which have lots of pill filler at the bottom.

good man. I have no intensions of putting a thick cream on my head. But go for it.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
Private Ryan said:

good man. I have no intensions of putting a thick cream on my head. But go for it.

i will apply it after i came back from work and wait an hour or two before i go for my shower. to me, leaving the cream any longer on the scalp should not have any additional benefit.

anyway, i quote Byran from HLH:
Several years ago on alt.baldspot, I asked Dr. Proctor about the benefits of hydration for the absorption of fat-soluble versus water-soluble substances; his reply was that although hydration assists the absorption of all substances, it probably benefits water-soluble ones more than fat-soluble ones. So I imagine that probably even spironolactone cream would be helped by that, at least a little.

But there's another question which interests me even more: to what extent (if any) is it even necessary for topical drugs to be absorbed into the skin in the first place, just to have a beneficial effect on hair follicles? What if it turns out that the main way these drugs get to the follicle in the first place is by a straight path down through the follicular canal? There's increasing evidence that such absorption via the pilosebaceous unit itself is a key part of the general topical absorption of drugs.

seem interesting. maybe that why in the study of spironolactone solution VS cream, the cream came out better.