so i've just about had it. (and zix questions)

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the subject line says it all: I've just about had it.

I've tried almost every topical in the book and time after time, I get some sort of side effect. My new theory is that I'm either allergic/over-sensitive to the alcohols that are in most of these products or my scalp absorbs them too quickly. Because I've used different brands of Minoxidil, Spectral RS, Tricomin, and now Eucapil all with uncomfortable side effects -- tightness in my chest, stuffed up ears, cold-like symptoms, and the latest with eucapil, nausea. I'm pretty sure its the alcohols, because the one product I can use with no effect is the 5% spironolactone cream which has no alcohol in it. I'm not a big fan of spironolactone cream, though, because it's hard to apply to the large area of scalp under my diffusing mop.

So now I'm looking for other non-alcohol based topicals. I've tried finasteride, but my doctor and I decided it wasn't for me. So what else is there? I'm not looking for miracle regrowth, just something to help me maintain and thicken my hair and maybe slow the balding process down.

Any suggestions? What about the "classic" non-alcohol based Zix? After searching around on this forum, I've only really seen pretty wishy-washy comments about it. Some people are also concerned that it could lead to an over-consumption of zinc? What do people think about this? Is Zix worth a try for someone looking for one last attempt in battling hair loss? Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks,

jimmyjames

Jerk Hoff

Reaction score
I'm interested in this as well. you can see that I posted another thread about zix, wondering if I can use emu oil instead of distilled water, since I want to use emu oil anyway and it's supposedly a good carrier with good absorption or something.

Also, as for zix leading to an over-consumption of zinc, I've never heard of that before. Considering how much zinc you put in a whole bottle of it, and how much you'd be putting on your head each day, and the limit of how much you should take daily (I've heard 50-75mg), I can't imagine it'd be that much of an issue.

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Mr. Hoff,

Thanks for the reply -- yeah, zix seems like it's worth a shot. At least it's cheap! My only problem is that I live in Canada and the two main ingredients seem really difficult to come by, even on-line.

Anyway, as far as using emu oil goes -- have you ever used this stuff? I've never used it, but from what I've heard it's REALLY messy. I'm not sure I'd want to walk around all day with that stuff on my head. Maybe you could dilute it with the distilled water?

Try emailing the guy who made the zix website -- he seems really helpful and he's always tinkering around with his ingredients.

Good luck and let me know how you do!