Socks' story - (general thinning, pics included)

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your support Britannia and 20sometingtoo. Ronny, your comments are out-of-line bud. If you cannot appreciate or understand my story and message then atleast show some maturity and respect for yourself by refraining from making childishly insulting comments.

If you bothered to atleast read what I took the time to post you would see that my main hair problem isnt that I'm receding or getting a bald spot but rather that my hair is losing volume (hair diameter as a result of miniaturization). This is the same way my Grandfather and Uncle started losing their hair. They are not bald but they both, by the age of 35, had significant thinning in a NW4 pattern.

Everyone's hairloss starts somewhere... Dont knock someone who started treating their hairloss early just because, for whatever reasons, you may not have.

Britannia

Reaction score
Socks by the way nice illustration of your area of regrowth. You will find a few angry/jealous/just plain weird people on this forum Im afraid.

tu pac

Reaction score
holy f*** I would kill for that guys hair its thick as f*** it looks like a virgins muff man some people really are worrying for nothin.

omgstfuty

Established Member
Reaction score
Soory but I guess Im saying what every one is actaully thinking when looking at that picture, are you gay?
If I were you id get your hair cut a little shorter, hate to say it but you look homo-sexual, and your also pulling the most veinest "zoolander-type" expression I have ever seen,
Im not trying to be a dick mate, but come on, Are you trying to be ironic or something with that look?
I'd just buzz your head dude.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
LoL :lol:

You're right about the Zoolander pose!!! I didnt even think of that :wink:

Anyhow, not that is matters, but no I'm not gay. The pic was taken somewhere in the area of 2am or 3am in the morning and the only reason I took it was because I had gotten home from a date an hour earlier and was curious how my hair looked (pictures can tell a different story then a mirror I find).

Shaving is not for me... Though for some men that is the route to go. My hair *finally* is looking good after 2yrs of meds and the last thing I want to do is shave all my hard work off :)

StoptheMadness

Established Member
Reaction score
Socks,
It seems that oral spironolactone might have done the trick to really thicken your hair and add some to your temps.(as finasteride probably doesn't help after a few years). If so, is this the reason why you continue taking oral spironolactone even knowing the side effects? even going so far as to advise against it.

Why not revivogen, or tricomin or something else where there is less severe side effects?

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
StoptheMadness,

Having been on hairloss boards for some time I came to realize that topicals (aside from minoxidil) rarely give acceptable results. Plus, topicals, while many may be side-effect free, are a real pain in the *** to keep up with... They can make your hair greasy, mess up your hair style, and when you spend the night over your girls you either got to bring a suitcase of your topical crap or miss a day or two.

Internals are simple fast and easy. Finasteride is FDA proven and spironolactone is also an FDA approved drug (though not for hairloss). Both drugs have plenty of science behind them -and- the way finasteride and spironolactone works compliments one another (finasteride reduces DHT while spironolactone blocks the receptor sites remaining androgens bind to).

How many men on these boards do you know who got regrowth from using a non-minoxidil topical in addition to finasteride? Especially at the temple area!? Without having to use -any- topicals I have maintained my hair and regrew some at my temples for less then $35 USD a month. All I do is pop two pills after dinner and I'm done for the day! If I want to travel or go spend the night at my gf's house no prob. It is nearly hassle free and cheap.

That is why I went the route I did :)

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
socks said:
*Update*

Things are looking good hair wise. No real sides from my hairloss routine... Less and less scalp showing and almost a zero daily shed count!

Socks, I'm thinking of coloring my hair. Did you get yours done professionally or with something OTC? I've never done it before but I think that a lighter color + my fair skin tone + my new grafts growing in in the next couple of months will look awesome.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I got my professionally done. After doing the OTC stuff several times with less-the-desirable results I decided to let the pros do it LoL

Anyhow, I think you should go for it man!

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Good result Socks, you took control of your problem and have set a positive example for others. I am fighting back from zero, and eventually, gradually, winning some hair back. I don't think I will get it all back, however there is no guarantee of a good response from a few treatments, so I threw everything at deminaturisation. We have to ride out a lot of criticism here, but the good contacts and exchange of information is worth the effort. I haven't posted any pics yet, as I always think that "next month it will be better".
Boru

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
socks said:
I got my professionally done. After doing the OTC stuff several times with less-the-desirable results I decided to let the pros do it LoL

Anyhow, I think you should go for it man!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. It's worth the little bit of extra cash to have it done right.

Chandi

Reaction score
You could try http://www.robertcraig.com . They have really nice, gentle hair coloring kits. They also have a free online consultation that only takes a few minutes, and then they'll recommend what colours would work best for you.

Also, if you email them, they will actually email you back and answer any of your questions, and work with you.

I started using Robert Craig after spending over $100.00 at the salon to get my hair highlighted and stuff... it got botched up and I ended up with firey orange hair on the bottom and really dark hair on the top. Not at all what I was wanting.

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Congrats.
You are apparently happy with your regimen (scary to most people) and results (make most people jealous), so I wont tell you (as no 10000) that oral spironolactone is a bad idea, I am sure you are aware what kind of risks you are taking.

So I'm just going to say good luck keeping your nw1. Enjoy it.

powersam

Reaction score
don't you be chiming in there aplunk. your the last one should be talking bout people not actually having hairloss to start with.