solubilities of carriers

CCS

Reaction score
I just did some tests:

DMSO, ethanol, propylene glycol, and water are all mixible at all ratios in each other. octyl salicylate is as soluble in ethanol as sugar is in water. Although large amounts of oleic acid are not mixible in smaller amounts of water, a little oleic acid in ethanol dissolved the octyl salicylate.

CCS

Reaction score
I also made 10% oleic acid in ethanol and put my hand in it. It did not burn. So it is safe to put on your head.

CCS

Reaction score
dipping my finger in pure oleic acid does not hurt at all either. It is just like oil.

My policy on safe topicals is to use a variety of stuff (mix and dilute your poisons) and only use stuff that is safe to drink 100mL of at once, straight. Always include water and an oil or fatty acid.

spinner2

Established Member
Reaction score
I made a 50% distilled water, 35% ethanol, 10%PG, 5% oleic acid mixture for my apple polyphenols the other week. I added the oleic acid last, and it fizzed when I put it in and was insoluble in the mixture. It's sort of floating around on top right now. Just a heads up.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
spinner2 said:
I made a 50% distilled water, 35% ethanol, 10%PG, 5% oleic acid mixture for my apple polyphenols the other week. I added the oleic acid last, and it fizzed when I put it in and was insoluble in the mixture. It's sort of floating around on top right now. Just a heads up.

Yes, oleic acid acts like an oil in concoctions. You need an emulsifier like polysorbate 20 or 80. Just squirt some in your mix and you'll see all the stuff combining. Polysorbate 20 and 80 are available at alot of places.

I assume oleic acid acts this way because the stuff we buy, that isn't ultra-pure, is about 70 percent oleic acid and the rest is olive oil? Or something like that. I don't know if the ultra-pure oleic acid would act this way? However, I'm not going to spend $1 billion to find out! :lol:

CCS

Reaction score
all depends on pH. At pH 5, half of it should dissolve, and maybe pull some of the rest with it. At pH 7, it should be 99% disolved. I think putting oleic acid in a liquid probably brings the pH down to 4, so 99% won't dissolve.

Jacob

Reaction score
How about Marula oil. Great carrier oil..absorbs well. Very stable.
For our purposes though..who knows...seems to work well for what I'm using it for(helping FNS absorb/not show on the scalp).

Don't worry..FNS isn't the only thing I use.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Jacob said:
How about Marula oil. Great carrier oil..absorbs well. Very stable.
For our purposes though..who knows...seems to work well for what I'm using it for(helping FNS absorb/not show on the scalp).

Don't worry..FNS isn't the only thing I use.

Yes Jacob, I've heard of it. Probably from one of your posts. It seems that it would be good stuff. I'll buy some. What the heck!

http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/PC/Doctor ... ula%20oil'

Here's a good place to buy oils.

http://www.oilsbynature.com/products.asp

Jacob

Reaction score
That's where I got mine- cheapest I could find. I could have made do with a smaller bottle though 8)