Some new infos about the really controversed Saw Palmetto

Reaction score
Hy everybody,

I'm following the forum for some times already but I decide to subscribe to post some new infos and to exchange a little bit.
I have read yesterday a very interesting study about a combo including Saw Palmetto.
Here is the link : ( click on the uper right "full text")

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2011/985345/ref/

As I'm french I did not understand everything so if some guys could comment on this study, it would be a good thing.

Hope it will help,
Cheers.

BenVegas01

Reaction score
Thanks for posting those studys.

In the first study theres more to it just using Saw Palmetto. They are talking about using antioxidents which reduce inflammation combined with an AR inhibitor. It would be probably be more powerful if combined by a more powerful A/R inhibitor.

'These findings suggest that 5-alpha reductase inhibitors combined with blockade of inflammatory processes could represent a novel two-pronged approach in the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia with improved efficacy over current modalities'

Reaction score
I saw that Polaris N-7 contains a very good combo.
Maybe it could reach what the study talk about :

• 5% minoxidil
• Apple polyphénol
• Azelaïc acid, oléanolic acid and Serenoa Repens (5-alpha réductase inhibitor)
• Biotine and Rétinol
• Les lipospheres

I saw it on biovea.com but it is still unavailable :hmmm: ...

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
First study doesn't really shed much light on efficacy of topical SP.
1. They're combining it with some other sh*t.
2. Results-wise they're focusing on inflammation and gene expression rather than real world results.

In summary, we found that our test compound attenuated
expression for markers of inflammation, and specifically
for CCL17, CXCL6 and LTB(4). Our data support
the hypothesis that the test compound exhibits antiinflammatory
characteristics in a well-established in vitro
assay representing HF keratinocyte gene expression.

:dunno:

On the second study.

It's a pilot study with very few subjects, 19 complete the trial.

I'm still trying to get my head around it. I don't like that they don't define how they determine efficacy. It's basically patient self assessment plus 'investigative staff assessment'.

Worth noting that the start of the study which talks about the relationship between BPH and Androgenetic Alopecia is a good read. When it gets to the study and actual results it all goes to mush.

DoubleL14

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here but I've put in quite some effect in fighting hair loss. I've taken saw palmetto as part of my regime consists of

Proscar 1mg/day
Saw palmetto 3200mg (max strength)/day
Minoxidil +0.05% retinoic acid 2ml/day

The regime helped me to regain my hair and minimized hair loss but I realised that saw palmetto can upset you stomach and gives you that nasty reflux (like some fish oil). I'm not too sure whether it's effective on its own. As far as scietific research, saw palmetto is a DHT enzyme blocker and from memory it only inhibits one type of DHT enzyme (either type I or II). Plus you have to take into consideration its bioavailability (how it is digested and absorbed).

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure the saw palmetto won't be doing anything for you. You don't need it if you're taking Finasteride.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DoubleL14 said:
Hi,

I'm new here but I've put in quite some effect in fighting hair loss. I've taken saw palmetto as part of my regime consists of

Proscar 1mg/day
Saw palmetto 3200mg (max strength)/day
Minoxidil +0.05% retinoic acid 2ml/day

The regime helped me to regain my hair and minimized hair loss but I realised that saw palmetto can upset you stomach and gives you that nasty reflux (like some fish oil). I'm not too sure whether it's effective on its own. As far as scietific research, saw palmetto is a DHT enzyme blocker and from memory it only inhibits one type of DHT enzyme (either type I or II). Plus you have to take into consideration its bioavailability (how it is digested and absorbed).

Saw Palmetto won't do much for hair loss if your taking it internally. Approx. 2% of it actually reaches the scalp. There is no need for it if you are already taking Proscar....basically what hairhoper said. BUT if you apply it topically it will help.

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree, provide proof that saw palmetto helps topically, preferably in the form of a legitamite medical article/journal, but even something from a forum i'd read, i wont believe it neccessarily but ill read it.

remember stuff from someone selling saw palmetto, by itself or in a product doesnt count.

I've used shampoos that have been very good with SP in them, but that doesnt mean it was the SP that made it good. Ive also had bad experiences using it internally. I really have a hard time trusting it now.

Reaction score
It is proven scientifically but the success is very limited.
That's true that it is very hard to make a judgment.
However, there are studies about oral treatment that prove that it is as less effective as a placebo.
So for the moment, I suggest another treatment as this one IMO is a loss of time.