Some Newbie Questions On Microneedling, Essential Oils And Saw Palmetto

PeedyGonzalez

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post, hope I don't ask too much! :) thanks for having me!

So I've been lurking a lot here and on the tressless subreddit (honestly you guys here have a much more enjoyable atmosphere)!
Will soon post about my current regimen which was developed after ~4 months of "research" :)

I do have a request for recommendations though:

1) First of all I recently planned on adding a mix of carrier oils (Castor, Argan), essential oils (Tea Tree, Rosemary, Peppermint, Aloe Vera) and DMSO to my regimen. Does this compound make sense? What about the ratios (I learned it would be best to do 70% equal mix of carrier oils, 30% DMSO and then about 5 drops of each essential oil)? I don't really know much about DMSO, hope it's alright to use it. After Microneedling (1.5mm every 10 days), is it still safe to apply the essential oils in the carrier oils (without the DMSO)? How long should I leave the mixture in my hair (with and without DMSO)?

2) My regimen right now includes some components that compete with each other in a chronological way. What I mean by this is, I don't really know how much time there should be between the treatments and if they interfere with each other (positively or negatively) so I was hoping maybe you guys have some advice!
I currently use minoxidil (2x daily), The Ordinary's Multi-Peptide Serum for Hair Density (1x daily, in the evening) and additionally I plan to use above mentioned oil mixture. How often should I use the oil mixture? Using it every night would mean I would do all 3 treatments every night, seems like an overkill? So, when using minoxidil and TO serum (and possibly the oil mixture) at night, in which order should I apply the 3 treatments? How much time between them? Do they interfere? I usually apply minoxidil, then brush my teeth and stuff and then apply the TO serum after a good 10 minutes. Feels wrong to even add the oils afterwards, so maybe use the oils just twice a week or so?

3) I'm additionally using a wide range of supplements. Maybe I'll make a post about these another day. But here's a question: I purchased Saw Palmetto (160mg) and Pumpkin Seed Oil (1000mg) supplement pills. What's you guys' opinio on taking these as kind of a natural alternative to Finasteride? Plus, can I just add the content of the pills (Saw Palmetto is not an oil) into my oil mixture to create some sort of topical SP with PSO or is this useless? If yes, which "dose" should I add to 1 serving of the oil compound?

Wow, I planned on asking a question or two, but it just kept coming haha! I'm so excited to hear your comments, thanks for being such an awesome community :) we're in this together!

Unacknowledged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To combine oils is always tricky. They can affect eachothers compounds and thus have no reaction on your hair while seperated they could make a difference. Too much saw palmetto gave me the same side effects as what ive read about finasteride. I had no trouble getting everything back to normal.

I do have to say when i stopped taking saw palmetto to get it out of my system. My head/hair itched allot.

PeedyGonzalez

My Regimen
Reaction score
To combine oils is always tricky. They can affect eachothers compounds and thus have no reaction on your hair while seperated they could make a difference. Too much saw palmetto gave me the same side effects as what ive read about finasteride. I had no trouble getting everything back to normal.

I do have to say when i stopped taking saw palmetto to get it out of my system. My head/hair itched allot.

True, thanks for your reply! How much Saw Palmetto did you take?

Unacknowledged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
True, thanks for your reply! How much Saw Palmetto did you take?

I started with 2 (320mg) times a week and had no issues. 3 times a week no issues. 5 times a week and the issues started. Nipples started to itch but i kept going. Than i got puffy nipples so i stopped. Took a while to get it back to normal. Will try again soon but will start with 2 times a week 160mg.