Some questions from a novice

The Rock

Established Member
Reaction score
If propecia is around 60 dollars a month for a 1 month supply and you can buy proscar for the same and split it into 4ths and/or 5ths why would possibley get propeica. I read that someone said once that their Dr. would not prescribe it to them, but why not just go to another Dr. I'm only 18 so I don't have much experience with this type of stuff. Also, does saw plamentowork at all. lol I mean honestly, I haven't read one good thing by anyone....if anyone has had some success please note it. Thanks for any help

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well... HairLossTalk.com and most people on here think saw palmetto is a waste of time. they are probably right, in studies it has shown to do almost nothing to serum DHT levels, but apparently works good locally (topically like in a shampoo or spray) applied directly to the scalp. I'm using saw palmetto right now, mostly because i started my regimen with it and i don't want to change anything, at least for six months (in which i will probably discontinue it). so, even though i am a saw palmetto user and have had good result, i attribute them solely to propecia i'm taking.

as for the proscar, if you can find a Doctor that will prescribe it to you, go for it. i'm just too lazy, i don't feel like chopping pills, so its just not worth it for me. but they are exactly the same thing, so if you want to save money, find a Doctor, get proscar, cut it up.

The Rock

Established Member
Reaction score
Why would one Dr. prescribe it and another not. Is it just the simple money of it all.....or is there an alterior motive?

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well.... proscar is intended for prostatic hypertrophy NOT male pattern baldness (although they are the same drug just different amounts per pill). so for him to write a prescription for proscar to a healthy 23 year old, it just seems odd (on the borderline of lying to the drug companies) because they will make a lot less profit off a lifetime hairloss patient using proscar instead of propecia (which is significantly more expensive), plus the doctor has to trust that his patient is cutting the pills up into at least fourths. thus some doctors won't do it, others don't care. it just wasn't worth my time running around trying to find the right Doctor, i wanted to start my regimen NOW