Some thoughts about the "Young guys should not get a hair transplant"

amsch

Reaction score
Hey there!

We all know that it has been discussed all over the place.

Mostly if you're about 19-24 and ask for advice in this direction, all you get is "you should not get a hair transplant at that age as your male pattern baldness will progress".

I agree about the fact that guys who have agressive thinning in their twenties, who are not able to stop (or at least slow down) their hairloss should not get a hair transplant. However, if their on propecia and feel like it's helping, they should do it.

To get my drift, the fact that the twenties should be the "time of our lifes" (college, girls etc.), is very important. Most users here started balding AFTER this timeframe. So they don't know how it is to think about hairloss all day long, try to cover your receding hairline, lose their self-esteem etc., and all at the age of 19/20/21 whatever.

All i want to say is, let a young guy have a hair transplant if they able to stop further loss. I can imagine how the life quality would improve, if you do not have to worry about hairloss all day long at such a young age.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Yeah, if it is possible then why not let these young men enjoy their youth for what it should be?

s.a.f

Reaction score
And then let them spend the remaining 80% of their adult life looking wierd because they have a teens hairline on a bald head?

A 21 yr old NW2.5 will waste 40% of his donor to achieve a NW1.
And could still go onto bald to NW6/7 in the next 10 yrs.

A 31 yr old NW4 will use 40% of his donor to achieve a respectable NW2.
And is better able to predict his future loss.

We all know that a certain Surgeon has been restoring the hairlines of very young guys to childlike levels and using huge amounts of their donor the results of this will become all to aparrant in a few yrs time.

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
I was one of those young guys who said the same thing.. i was 23 when i first starting looking at these forums and becoming interested in fixing my temples and hairline..

now 4 years later, there are times when i wished i had actualy just done it..i had the money at the time and would have enjoyed the last 4 years a lot more. Im not on propecia, only xandrox and while my hair may have lost a little density in the last year or so, my hairline hasnt really changed.

i always thought, oh i have more than enough time and yet now im in my late 20s and realize, i probably wont be getting a transplant before 30. there are definately days i wish i had gotten an FUE procedure to straighten my hairline so i wouldnt have to worry about anything, but to be honest it doesnt haunt me or anything. i can live with it the way it is for a little while longer.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Thats your situation, but many guys who want to have a hair transplant in their early 20's will be quite bald in their late 20's.
I started thinking about hair transplant's at 19, I even sent off for the info packs ect. Ten yrs later I was totally bald.

indie85

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
And then let them spend the remaining 80% of their adult life looking wierd because they have a teens hairline on a bald head?
I tend to think the bigger concern should be whether you want that teenager hairline when you're older than if you will be bald behind it, because you will have that hairline for life. I say that because I can think of many real life examples of exactly this where the person looks great, hairline is everything imo and the behind baldness or thinness could at least be addressed with further transplants, or a combination of transplants and concealers if it is a problem for the person.
The hairline is harder to change however, and you have to consider whether you want that teenage hairline in your 60s or something that is still a norwood 1 but more 'mature'.

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
Early hair transplants are unadvised because no one can predict the future. As much as you hear the word "pattern" around here, there is no way to predict how far your hair loss will go and what/where you'll lose. By transplanting hairs before then, you run the risk of looking unnatural. 10 years of confidence is not worth 40 of humilation, embaressment, and a significant yearly hat budget.

Hair loss is certainly not ideal, but people know what it is. They've seen it, likely their brother/father/grandfather has it. They may even be mean to you about it. But don't give them more of a reason.

CCS

Reaction score
I was a Norwood 3a or 4a, and now am a NW2 from transplants. I got mine at 23, and now am 29. I think I've used most of my donor hair. My main concern is the density just is not that great. at certain angles and lightings I look good, but in others I can see that I have 1/3 of my ideal density. It is true that maybe 1/3 of my grafts did not grow in, but even if they did, that would put me at maybe 1/2 my ideal density. My point is, hair transplant does not give you more hair. It just moves around the hair you have. And I doubt many doctors give you close to 100% density in front. And 50%, despite what they say, is noticeably only 50%. It looks full in some lightings at the right angle, but is obviously only 50% in other lighting.

I'm sure people would enjoy their youth more at 50% density than at 0%. But other 19 year olds will still notice you have 50%, and will think you look old. You'll do better, but you should not get your hopes up.

If I could go back in time and get a hair piece instead of grafts, maybe I would. I'd have more density, lower hair line, save money, and would have smooth scalp under the piece for easier maintainance. But it would still reduce my sponteneity. And I might get caught. I might stress about people knowing. But even with my current hair, which is my own, I worry about women thinking I look too old. So maybe the piece would be no more stressful. But now that I'd have to shave grafts daily to keep the piece looking good, it seems like too much of a hassle to do the piece.

If you are thinking of hair transplant, maybe experiment a little first, if losing $500 towards your hair transplant is not too big a deal. I don't think there is any escaping the worry of people noticing. They will notice your hair roots in an male pattern baldness pattern if you shave. They will notice your high, thin hairline if you hair transplant. And you will have to spend 20 minutes per day on your HP, and worry about getting caught, and plan your swims, if you go HP. Hats come off eventually too, but are your cheapest option.

Devender

Established Member
Reaction score
amsch said:
Hey there!

We all know that it has been discussed all over the place.

Mostly if you're about 19-24 and ask for advice in this direction, all you get is "you should not get a hair transplant at that age as your male pattern baldness will progress".

To get my drift, the fact that the twenties should be the "time of our lifes" (college, girls etc.), is very important. Most users here started balding AFTER this timeframe. So they don't know how it is to think about hairloss all day long, try to cover your receding hairline, lose their self-esteem etc., and all at the age of 19/20/21 whatever.

All i want to say is, let a young guy have a hair transplant if they able to stop further loss. I can imagine how the life quality would improve, if you do not have to worry about hairloss all day long at such a young age.

I agree with most of what you say. Just be careful and stick to fue and do not use up lots of grafts. You dont want to finish all your donor supply in first 1 inch of your hairline.