Somebody push me

Failing Follicles

Reaction score
Hello my balding brothers

I'm new to all of this but hope you'll bear with me despite the fact you've probably heard it all before. Mine is the usual story: began losing my beautiful, thick and glossy hair at 20, discovered Toppik aged 25 and spent the next four years choking on an increasingly thick cloud of the stuff in an effort to cover the thinning as my hair continued to desert in disloyal droves. I know much success is written about finasteride but I've read the stories of impotence and Lord knows what else - no thanks. Anyway 8 months ago the Toppik had to stop as I'm by now a definite NW6 with a gleaming, shiny head so in a fit of madness I switched to a "system" (why do they call them that? It's a bloody wig, end of) which has been the worst mistake of my life - despite doing my homework, getting a top quality unit and a great stylist, half the time I still look like there's a small furry rodent glued to my head and have discovered all the horror stories about sideways glances, smirks, paranoia, colour / blend difficulties and hours in front of the mirror to be true.

I'm so pissed off with the stupid thing that I'm almost at the stage where I bin the rodent (or burn the damn thing, even better) and shave my head. Trouble is I've tried this before and discovered I look worse than Uncle Fester on a bad day - my skull's all knobbly and there are huge moles everywhere (remember the Ferengi in Star Trek?!). However after 8 months of living under the dead rat (it's not living though is it? It controls you and everything you do) I reckon the Ferengi look is the lesser of two evils and I just need a little push to pluck up the guts to be rid of this ridiculous, vain attempt to hold on to my youthful appearance and take my life back.

If anyone's done this do you have any words of wisdom? I so want to be rid of this all-controlling, demonic, frizzy little life-wrecker but can't quite take the plunge... somebody push me... please... :firing:

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I don't know what you should do if you hate the wig and also hate a shaved head. That's close to my situation, although I haven't even tried a wig but even the idea of wearing something unnatural on my head is disturbing. My head shape is also far from desirable but I'm still buzzing the little hair I have left. If you're shiny NW6 I wouldn't put my hope on the current meds... they usually only manage to stop the balding process, and some even get a miracle regrowth but that's rare.

<---- (P.S. I wish I had the head shape of Scott Ian, the dude in my avatar. He f*****g rocks the shaved look.)

Failing Follicles

Reaction score
Cheers ghg - I know what you mean about the "unnatural" thing. Lots of guys on here seem to be OK with the concept and maintain their pieces are undetectable; to me it feels like I'm cheating myself and the world, and as for undetectable - I've seen loads of pieces out and about since starting to wear one and not to say that there have been individuals I have missed, there have been lots that were, to me, obvious - mine included.

I don't care about meds, I'm not going to take any. I'm glad you're able to shave despite having an odd-shaped head - whatever you do never go the wig route!

Plucking up the courage...

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I don't know if my head shape is that odd ODD, I just dislike it. I see people with similar headshape every day, but most of them are not balding :mrgreen: . Here's me, notice the long cone head thingie...

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
there's nothing wrong with your head,its actually "in" your head.You have a jawline a lot of men would want.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I like my jaw (thanks grandpa).

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you should try having a stubble,bcuz your skin is so white bcuz your nordic,right?

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ian Curtis said:
I think you should try having a stubble,bcuz your skin is so white bcuz your nordic,right?

Yeah I'm Scandinavian. Well us Finns are really a mixture of mostly Swedish, German and Russian heritage. I know that my paternal family is from Russia or thereabouts but I have no idea where my maternal family comes from...

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Failing Follicles said:
ER, GHG judging by your photo you seem not to have a hairloss problem. What gives?

Diffuse thinning all over top. Intact hairline.