Something that has REALLY worked for me - and its simple

louis

Reaction score
My profile will say I am a new poster - this being my first, but a while back I was a pretty good poster during the time of frizz and bryanshelton et al. I gave up after things just didn't work - dutasteride and RU just didn't give me the results I had hoped for. But anyway, I have mild psoriasis. During Dec, Jan, and Feb I get a little bit on my forearms and lower legs - thank GOD it is not supposed to get worse (which it hasn't in 9 years) only comes around in the cold dry months, and is easily taken care of with topicort (betamethasone variate) salve.

But my point is people who get psoriasis, VERY OFTEN get some sort of seborrheic dermatitis - really really BAD dandruff and flakes - which I do. And I have NEVER been able to get control of it. Steroids, 10+ kinds of shampoos, - trust me I have tried them ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I was convinced that I would never be able to stop the hair loss until I got a healthy scalp to do it. My current regimen has been paired down to Saw Palmetto and 5% spironolactone cream. I don't want to risk the finasteride/dutasteride side effects and minoxidil and other solutions do more harm than good I think. I think the 2% spironolactone worked, but anything that had high alcohol or propylene glycol solutions did NOT help my Seborrheic dermatitis at ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am serious, I would pick off thick layers of crap on my scalp that I am sure was part dead skin/flakes and part stuff I had just paid a lot of money to put on. Oh and quite a few hairs would come along with it. While I wont say that getting my Seborrheic dermatitis under control was the key to stopping hairloss, I do believe Seborrheic dermatitis was the biggest obstacle.

The only thing I have done differently for the past month is now I shower twice per day. 7am when I get up in the morning and 6pm when I get home. I am putting the 5% spironolactone on twice per day - both times to a really clean healthy scalp - and by showering twice per day, the Seborrheic dermatitis build up really isn't able to build up all that much - haven't seen a flake at all. A month later when I wash my hair I have 3-4 hairs in my lathery hands whereas a month ago I had 20-30 hairs in my lathery hands. So my point is, I know this doesn't apply to everyone out there, but quite enough have complained about flakes, itchiness, and little ugly placques that you pick off your scalp - until you take care of that, you CAN'T stop your hairloss. My shampoos I rotate are 1% Nizoral, Denorex 3% salicylic acid, and Head and Shoulders Zinc Pyrithione (or whatever it is called). Putting my 5% spironolactone on a healthy clean scalp twice a day, has made a difference, and the biggest point in that sentence in my mind is the HEALTHY CLEAN SCALP part of it.

Good luck to all - I am optimistic again - though showering after getting home isn't what thrills me, it works. For those of you who have the flakes/Seborrheic dermatitis problems like I do, it's worth a try.
Lou

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
Did you have grey flaking skin with some scalp (and hair) attached similar to lunar soil?

How do you get to be au fait with lunar soil?

jj_24

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been diagnosed with seb derm as well. I am shedding a ton 200 - 300 per day. My derm says the seb derm and a Telogen Effluvium could be causing it. I think it is BS. Do you think your seb derm caused shedding. He said hairs lost from seb derm should recover fully. Did you experience any of this?

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
louis said:
But my point is people who get psoriasis, VERY OFTEN get some sort of seborrheic dermatitis - really really BAD dandruff and flakes - which I do. And I have NEVER been able to get control of it. Steroids, 10+ kinds of shampoos, - trust me I have tried them ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I was convinced that I would never be able to stop the hair loss until I got a healthy scalp to do it. My current regimen has been paired down to Saw Palmetto and 5% spironolactone cream. I don't want to risk the finasteride/dutasteride side effects and minoxidil and other solutions do more harm than good I think. I think the 2% spironolactone worked, but anything that had high alcohol or propylene glycol solutions did NOT help my Seborrheic dermatitis at ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am serious, I would pick off thick layers of crap on my scalp that I am sure was part dead skin/flakes and part stuff I had just paid a lot of money to put on. Oh and quite a few hairs would come along with it. While I wont say that getting my Seborrheic dermatitis under control was the key to stopping hairloss, I do believe Seborrheic dermatitis was the biggest obstacle.

I am suffering from exect same condition for last 2 years. But I am not sure if its psoriasis or not as I didn’t have any history of it, but condition is exactly same as you mentioned above. There is nothing in the market that I didn’t use, but so far no result. I don’t know what to do anymore

kathay

Reaction score
I was disappointed to see your note at the bottom about God. Why is that necessary. Just stick to the point.

biglemoncoke

Established Member
Reaction score
kathay said:
I was disappointed to see your note at the bottom about God. Why is that necessary. Just stick to the point.

So you're saying that theres something we can do when god try to f*** us over. If so theres a cure to balding

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i also get seb derm...when it gets really bad my scalp builds up with white soft crap and i shed a tonn of hair...guys who are naturally going bald don't know what it means to shed.

jj_24

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree going bald slowly would be nice. I had a fro last summer almost too thick sometimes. Now when my hair is wet I can see my head I never though it could happen this quick. There was no way to prepare to be bald in 8 months. It seems the seb derm is better but my head still itches and sheds like crazy. I hope the Doctor is right that they will recover. Another thing to consider is that male pattern baldness can cause seb derm. Inflimation can be a reaction to the dht increase. This sucks because it a double wammy. I am now on finasteride hopefylly that will help