sore loser's story (35 with this hair, skip to post 10)

sore loser

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First, want to say thanks to those responsible for running this forum site, and to those that reply - the discussions have been a great resource and I have learned a lot from browsing around.

So, here is my story -

I am 27, with thin blond hair. My loss so far is mostly diffuse, however I have a hairline that is creeping backwards as well. Not just over the temples, but fully straight back in the front as well. My right side is worse, and I'd say I've lost a good half inch so far.

My hair has always been on the thin side, so I was not concerned last year when I had my hair cut and the woman cutting it commented that I had thin hair. I really noticed in Sept '06 when I saw some pics of me at a BBQ - no doubt, I am starting to lose my hair. Its amazing how diffuse thinning creeps up on you unnoticed. I have probably been losing significant amounts since 22 or 23.

I researched options - I started minoxidil 5%, but then stopped after 2 weeks because I wanted to add a systemic DHT reducer instead. I got on finasteride on Oct 3rd, and haven't missed a day yet. I don't want to use minoxidil until I decide if finasteride is working or not. If I use both, I can't tell which is working - one or both. Don't want to keep taking finastaride if its not working - though I am of the mind that even if you still lose hair on finasteride you are probably losing it slower than you would have without it. So far, no physical sides that I can tell. Some users in these forums claim that finasteride may cause mental sides as well - depression, moodswings, etc - I have experienced nothing of the sort.

I have since added 5% minoxidil to my hairline. Its been 2 months only, so nothing to report yet. I have to say, my hairline looks thinner though.

I also tried to supplement finasteride with revivogen as well. This was from mid-Oct to mid Dec. Although I believe the product "may" have real merit (stress may), I discontinued use after 2 months. I did not like how greasy it left my hair, and it left a thin coat of dried residue on my scalp - which I figure can't be good for growth of new hairs.

In Dec, I also added 2% Ketoconazole shampoo as well. I have been happy with this - my hair seems to be thicker on days when I use it. I have also noticed that I have less dandruff as well. Less dandruff probably also means less sebum production. My scalp is a little irritated by this stuff, but its not too discomforting.

I also have added 3 mg biotin daily. I doubt that this has a real significant effect, but I also figure it can't hurt. It purportedly helps keep skin and hair healthy. Maybe it has other effects. Maybe its useless. Its cheap enough though.

So far, at almost 4 months on finasteride, I believe I am losing ground so far. My hair is thinner than ever before. From what I have read, this phenomenon isn't rare for many finastaride users. Many others report 3-5 months into treatment that their hair is thinner than ever. I know how you feel - its not such a great feeling. I am going to continue taking it, and ride this out, hoping that it is just a shed, or something like that. I am also losing hair, significant amounts, from all over my head. My scalp is the thinnest, however, my sides and back are also much thinner than they were a year ago.

Though its undeniable to me that my hair is thinner than ever, I do not believe that finastaride is causing this. I believe my hair would be just as thin without it, perhaps worse. At best, this is the shed before the regrowth, where hairs are pushed from resting to growth. However, its my understanding that this isn't how finastaride is "supposed" to work. If my hair continues to thin at this rate, I will consider adding minoxidil to my whole scalp this August or so.

Well, this is my story so far. I'll let you all know how it goes. I hope it works, but at the same time, this is all a matter of perspective - there are worse things in life. Sorry for the small novel. Best of luck to all of you as well.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When I started finasteride (Propecia) back in 2002, my temples were disappearing real fast. finasteride took a good 5 months on me to show regrowth, but eventually the hairline/temple looked a lot better.

I'm still doing finasteride, but added a few other things (nizoral, Min, MSM) so we'll see how it goes over the next 6 months. Good luck!

sore loser

Reaction score
My first post will give you background info on my hair loss, regimen, etc.

I am still thinning significantly on almost all areas of my scalp - top, back, sides. I have read many reports that finasteride may cause a shed of sorts - which would be consistent with what I am seeing. Or its not working for me. I am just over 4 months on finasteride, and nothing really positive to report yet. Its too early to know if I am maintaining or not. No sides yet. I am planning on giving finasteride a whole year, and then assessing my situation.

But the good news: minoxidil 5% is helping to restore my hairline. I am using minoxidil only on the frontal hairline area so that I can see if propecia is in fact working - don’t want to take the drug if its not working. As of 2 weeks ago, in my last post, I told you my hairline was thinner than ever. now, there is evidence of new growth. I am starting to see new hairs (small) popping up all through the area where I have been applying minoxidil. minoxidil will not completely restore my hairline, but it is definitely helping, and hopefully more hairs will begin to regrow as well.

At least I know that if finasteride doesn’t work after a year, at least I am a good minoxidil responder. Wanted to share the good news - i know there are a lot of you wondering if minoxidil works on the hairline (since legally the manufacturer’s can’t claim it does). I can say that for me it does.

I will try to take pics and post them - right now I don’t have any with the level of detail needed to see my proof. I can tell you that I am skeptical by nature, and wouldn’t post this unless I was 100% sure.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yep, I am 2 months or so on the minoxidil foam and have small new hairs all along my temple hairline.

astral week

Established Member
Reaction score
sore loser, you know male pattern baldness isn't supposed to cause loss in the back and usually the sides. are you sure it's not something else?

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
astral week said:
sore loser, you know male pattern baldness isn't supposed to cause loss in the back and usually the sides. are you sure it's not something else?

Some people have highly aggresive male pattern baldness which leaves all but a few inches of hair circling the bottom of their head.

sore loser

Reaction score
The fact that it may be something else has crossed my mind. No men in either side of my family is totally bald - on my mother´s side they stopped at Norwood 3-4ish (at 70 years). My father has a full head of hair at 56. My uncle, 50 years old, is about a Norwood 3, and he has not done anything to his hair to stop loss - so it may be extremely agressive hair loss, however, I don´t have that in my family history. (not that family history rules it out.)

I know that it is at least male pattern baldness - I´ve seen a derm about this, and he agreed. I can´t deny there are many miniturized hairs in the front part of my scalp. However, he did say keep an eye on thinning further around the sides and back, since that may also be something else. I don´t think its Telogen Effluvium, because I´ve had no big shocks to my system recently (aside from beginning propecia 4 months ago) Hmmmmm. Its hard to tell if changing hormone levels (ie, DHT) drastically would count as a big "shock". Perhaps. If so, and it is Telogen Effluvium from messing with DHT levels, then your body should stabilize and any hair lost for this reason would come back. This is complete conjecture, btw.

The only other thing I though of was an overactive thyroid - rare possibility. I have been meaning to go get that checked recently (its an easy blood test) just to rule it out, but since I think the chances are really small that I have anything but male pattern baldness, I´ve been dragging my feet to find the time to do so.

I think I read somewhere (American Hairloss Association perhaps? don´t quote me on that) that as male pattern baldness sets in, a higher percentage of hairs move into the resting phase, even sometimes on the back and sides. (ie - higher than the normal 10-15%) this may account for some cases of difusse thinning - and may be why minoxidil could help for that - the cells aren´t dead, just more and more go into resting periods for longer. minoxidil (as I understand) gives them a good kick in the ***.

So, my situation could be this last one, and most likely is. Thanks for the input - Its good to bounce ideas around this forum - I´ve learned a lot just by reading here.

sore loser

Reaction score
sore loser's story (at almost 6 months)

So, things are looking good. I just got my hair cut, and it looks great. I was worried that my hair was thinning out really bad, but I have put those concerns to rest over the past month. it was hard to tell how it was thickening up when it was longer.

I believe my crown and vertex are thicker - If not, then I am at least maintaining, which is success for me. Cosmetically, my hairloss isn't that bad, despite diffuse thinning all over the top. I do have a f'd up hairline - but its rarely visible anyway.

But even the hairline is continuing to fill in - again, its not a perfect fix, nothing spectacular. But its still better than it was 4 months ago.

Anyway - finasteride is working! minoxidil is working (hairline applicaiton only)! nizoral - ???? I have no idea, but probably its helping. I am happy with my current regimen, and only wish I had gotten on it sooner. Hindsight always 20/20. Anyway, cheers to the "big 3". Here's one more story for the finastaride success bin. (no sides yet either)

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, that's great to hear! In your first post you sounded a bit despondent that after 4 months of finasteride your hair felt thinner - well that's exactly where I am (well, almost 5 months). It's good to hear that things started to get better. I got impatient and recently started on Minoxidil foam, and like you I'm using it just on my front... I'm keeping it away from my crown as I want an early warning sign if the finasteride stops working....or if it doesn't work at all....

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good luck, we all have to give products a 6-8 month shot before we can assess, we are really tryin to regrow hair and that takes time.

sore loser

Reaction score
Ok, so its been just over 8 months now on finasteride 1 mg/day, and about 6 months each of nizoral (2%) shampoo 2-3 times a week, and minoxidil 5% on my hairline.

Well, the results are mixed. The good news - my vertex and crown are doing fine, and feel thicker than they were prior to treatment. I always did have thin hair, but its definately better these days.

The bad news - the front section continues to get worse. My hairline is thinning out - pretty much all across my head. If I spike my hair up in the mirror, I can see my scalp up to about 2 solid inches back. My temples remain receeding and are heading back further. Its not been a super-fast process, but I can tell its getting worse.

I had thought, months ago (3 months) that minoxidil was helping to fill in the hairline. It has, because there are hairs that are growing in small areas that were not there before. However, overall, its all thinning out.

I remain hopeful that this will get a little better, however, I am not holding my breath. Its getting to the point where, despite the rest of my hair looking fine, I may buzz it down. The thinning in the front is not just temple receeding (I wouldn't even mind that so much, it actually doesn't look that bad, and most girls don't mind either. think - jude law hairloss). But unfortunately, when you receed straight accross the front, it doesn't look good anyway you look at it. Damn.

I know there is lots of talk here about the "propecia" phenomenon of helping the back while hurting the front (ie - greater testosterone). there are many of you in the same boat. Maybe that is happening here with me too. Its tough to say. But in the end, I'm at least happy I tried to do something - even if perhaps it accelerated loss in the front. Its better than sitting around watching it fall out anyway.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re:

sore loser said:
Ok, so its been just over 8 months now on finasteride 1 mg/day, and about 6 months each of nizoral (2%) shampoo 2-3 times a week, and minoxidil 5% on my hairline.

Well, the results are mixed. The good news - my vertex and crown are doing fine, and feel thicker than they were prior to treatment. I always did have thin hair, but its definately better these days.

The bad news - the front section continues to get worse. My hairline is thinning out - pretty much all across my head. If I spike my hair up in the mirror, I can see my scalp up to about 2 solid inches back. My temples remain receeding and are heading back further. Its not been a super-fast process, but I can tell its getting worse.

I had thought, months ago (3 months) that minoxidil was helping to fill in the hairline. It has, because there are hairs that are growing in small areas that were not there before. However, overall, its all thinning out.

I remain hopeful that this will get a little better, however, I am not holding my breath. Its getting to the point where, despite the rest of my hair looking fine, I may buzz it down. The thinning in the front is not just temple receeding (I wouldn't even mind that so much, it actually doesn't look that bad, and most girls don't mind either. think - jude law hairloss). But unfortunately, when you receed straight accross the front, it doesn't look good anyway you look at it. Damn.

I know there is lots of talk here about the "propecia" phenomenon of helping the back while hurting the front (ie - greater testosterone). there are many of you in the same boat. Maybe that is happening here with me too. Its tough to say. But in the end, I'm at least happy I tried to do something - even if perhaps it accelerated loss in the front. Its better than sitting around watching it fall out anyway.

Propecia won't damage the front, it is just not as effective as treating the crown section.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re:

sore loser said:

Propecia won't damage the front, it is just not as effective as treating the crown section.