Sorry for the extra spam being served up

Cassin

Reaction score
1. we've made some Chinese spammer mad

2. We have our "word capture" kind of lose during registration. Having one that is both restrictive and rather fool proof hurts our English as a second language posters ability to register. Those things are hard enough as it is to read and I can't imagine trying to do one for another language myself.

Someone suggested a simple math problem one that is easy to read and I actually like that idea the more I think about it. Like..."whats 1 + 2"

So...any suggestions I would love to hear it.

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
(off topic: "fool proof" and "full proof" is the same meaning? sorry im not native, i tried to look it at the dictionary)

Cassin

Reaction score
Ori83 said:
(off topic: "fool proof" and "full proof" is the same meaning? sorry im not native, i tried to look it at the dictionary)

FYI----I should have made it "foolproof"

"Foolproof" is the correct way.

"Fullproof" is wrong, but its one of those errors that's is made so often its almost a part of the language.

cuebald

Reaction score
can you disable links for posters with fewer than 5 posts?
in my work I had to filter out all of China's IP ranges with IP geo-lookup as the spam was getting too bad (we rarely get correspondence from outside the UK)

chore boy

Established Member
Reaction score
You could always ask them a question about a website they aren't allowed access to, i.e. YouTube.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
there wouldn't be much of a language barrier if you asked "1+2 = "
other good moves would be for example to ban certain buzzwords from a users first post (ones typical to spam)

unfortunately if this spammer is determined then it'll be simply our forums against his bots over and over again

Cassin

Reaction score
cuebald said:
can you disable links for posters with fewer than 5 posts?
in my work I had to filter out all of China's IP ranges with IP geo-lookup as the spam was getting too bad (we rarely get correspondence from outside the UK)

Actually you know...Poland is a problem now...haha....seriously. Not just China anymore.

Cassin

Reaction score
Just please hit the "report post button" and don't make any comments on the thread. It will make my job so much easier and I will get it faster.

I don't mind the pain in the ***...seriously I cannot thank you all enough.

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Cassin

Reaction score
idontwanttobebalding said:
Holy spam batman....I just experienced a wave of what you are talking about..

Why couldn't you require multiple easy "word captures" with finfighter's suggestion?

Because the moment we do that we will have a ton of people who have trouble making accounts who don't read English well.

But I am close to IP Banning China and Poland for a few weeks. lol....hate to do it but holy sh*t.

Its one dude who got pissed off who is doing this I think. He got pissed because I wouldn't let him advertise his wedding gown business here for free. So weird.

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
isnt there like a data base of simple questions that you can upload, and then pop a q randomly when someone creates an account?

Cassin

Reaction score
Well....this wave will pass so I don't think it will last too much longer. Such things come and go. We have had months without a single piece of spam.

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
cassin, whats up with that avatar picture?

Cassin

Reaction score
Alright...

I tracked down a lot of the spam...should be lessoning after a week or so.

Seems most of it is coming from http://www.163.com/

I did a wild card ban of any emails registering from @163.com from this point on. All of this over wedding dresses....lol