spironolactone 2% or 5%

eduardmc

Established Member
Reaction score
for all of u spironolactone user, is it working, and are u seeing any improving?
i want to apply spironolactone in my temple mostly also in my frontal section, i'm diffusing thinning and i would like an advise to which one would be better. and what's the advantage and disadvange of 2% and 5% . is it similar to minoxidil, which 2% minoxidil is lite and less greassy but is less effective, while 5% is greasier and leave more residual in the scalp but is about 50% more effective.

please reply i want to order today. cause after having great result, things are turning ugly again, and mostly in my temples area.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
If you're talking about Dr. Lee's stuff
2% is a liquid (fast drying)
5% is a cream

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
2% is easier to use for diffuse thinning and 5% is good for the hairline. I use both but prefer the 2%.
I haven't seen any results yet but I've only been using it for just under two months.

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
I obtained propecia-type results (moderate-dense regrowth) while using 2% spironolactone as a singe agent.

The 2% is much easier to apply if you have hair. This is very important because it only takes 15sec to apply, and you are certain to hit the target area. The 5% is messy, gets all over your hair, makes your hair greasy, doesn't hit the target area very well, can't be applied to wet scalp, and can take 5 min to apply. Its not very user friendly.

I used the 5% and began to lose a lot of hair, probably because the spironolactone was not getting to the target area and I just didnt use it every day because of the messy application.

Yardbird

Established Member
Reaction score
I've heard so many times that 2% has a smell though. What do you guys say?

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
The smell is bad IMO. Smells like a skunk.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I've found that it smells when used with minoxidil. If you apply spironolactone and minoxidil twice a day, the first daily application doesn't smell bad....but the second daily application....PU Skunk city.

viceroy

Reaction score
i've found that it only smells when a) i use a ridiculous amount of it, or b) it is broken down by heat, either by direct hot sunlight for an extended period, or by sweat from exercize.

also, as others have mentioned, the american crew revitalize spray really does smell nice and wipes out the spironolactone stank.

Yardbird

Established Member
Reaction score
I think this discussion is putting me into the 5% camp, though I'm not a spironolactone user. I'm still trying out my revivogen and nizoral regimen for now just to see how that works. If I'm not successful, then spironolactone will be the next thing i add.

The Gardener

Reaction score
viceroy said:
i've found that it only smells when a) i use a ridiculous amount of it, or b) it is broken down by heat, either by direct hot sunlight for an extended period, or by sweat from exercize.

Well said, I agree completely from my experience. I use it only at night on the full scalp, liberally, and in the mornings I use it along the hairline and over the temple, sparingly. No smell problems at all, except for a strong whiff of tainted alcohol for a few minutes until it has a chance to burn off a bit. Then, no problems at all. Unlike Minoxidil, the spironolactone 2% dries very quickly, in a matter of minutes.

When I first started, I did use it liberally a few times in the mornings. Let me tell you, once you get that sh*t in your hair, and add the minoxidil, out under the warm sun and then run a few laps, it starts to break down a bit and starts to smell.

Just be mindful of when you apply it, and how much you apply.