spironolactone cream

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I got trust issues as far as topical spironolactone is concerned.

1. How can we be sure that there is no systemic absorbance? I would not feel comfortable with spironolactone running through my body. If anyone has any access or links to scientific studies proving this claim it is more than welcome.

2. How do we know, that it does not reacts with minoxidil at a level, enough to decrease minoxidil effectiveness. I mean, we do know that it reacts with minoxidil. Dr. Lee claims that this happens so slowly that it cannot reduce effectiveness but how can we know for sure?

Fat-Elvis

Established Member
Reaction score
Well for one, oral spironolactone supposedly has worse side effects than avodart and propecia, yet people who use topical spironolactone report no side effects. So I can only assume that means little to none of it gets absorbed into your system. Besides, even if some does, it's probably a far less and weaker amount than what you'd take of avo or propecia internally. A valid concern, though.

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
Supposedly the time it takes for the two to react is days, not hours. That's why if you mix the two together in a bottle, it begins to smell like terrible things... while you can apply the two on your head and not have a problem.

Also, I was having a rough time with Finasteride side effects. I've been on topical spironolactone for a month now and no problems. No real results either... but it's still early.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I do get a funny smell when i apply spironolactone after applying minoxidil that i dont get when i apply one of them alone. That means there is some reaction. Do you guys get this smell?

Fat-Elvis

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it a smell you can notice yourself? I'm not going to use minoxidil but I use tricomin and may start using an apple polyphenol spray, and I hope it doesn't smell funky when I apply spironolactone cream after that.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, i can smell it myself. I only apply spironolactone before bed though so i dont really care about the smell, only the idea that it comes from those two things reacting up there.

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
Dr. Lee observed that smell. That's why he doesn't mix them together in a solution. He tried. They reacted. I read it somewhere in an interview on this site.

I'd let one dry before applying the other. You probably do.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
spironolactone absorbs a lot quicker (personal experience) and I used to apply it first, wait a couple minutes and then apply minoxidil.

If you're that impatient just brush your teeth inbetween applications, but wash your hands first haha

The Gardener

Reaction score
I use the 5% spironolactone cream on my hairline and upper temples. I've used the 2% at an earlier time as well, but not anymore.

I did encounter odor issues with the 2%, but only if mixed with minoxidil and only when the weather was warm. So, back then, I only used it at night, and in the mornings on cold days when I knew I wouldn't be exerting myself that much. I dropped the 2% because the alcohol was doing a number on my hair, but I think that's probably a more personal thing than any fault of the spironolactone per se. The odor, at least for the Dr Lee 2%, is not nearly the issue it was years ago, when it was somewhat of a legendary problem. Lee told me that he has been continuously tinkering with his 2% formulation to reduce the odor issue, and its not nearly as bad as it used to be.

As for the 5% cream, no odor, ever. Even when applied over the dried minoxidil on my temples and hairline, and even on the hottest of days. No odor with the cream. The only thing I have ever smelled was the smell of the carrier substance, which is no more offensive than the odor of wearing a facial moisturizer, for example.