spironolactone versus APPLE POLY - Im the guinea pig

DrGrow

Reaction score
I am a rapid diffuse thinner with receded hairline/temples.

I'm trying this one experiment, then concluding on both after 2 months.

Why 2 months? Because minoxidil can give me my hair back in 2. I'm avoiding minoxidil until I know nothing else works.

So..

Left temple = Sprio 5% cream from minoxidil.com
Right temple = Apple Poly - made by me - with 50% PG/50% Water and prolly a 5% concentration.

My apple poly is on it's way, as soon as it gets here, treatment begins.

I'm using nothing else, and finally someone will be able to tell if spironolactone works..

I'll give two monthly reports, and see whats happening

beaner

Reaction score
DrGrow said:

Why 2 months? Because minoxidil can give me my hair back in 2. I'm avoiding minoxidil until I know nothing else works.

So..

Right temple = Apple Poly - made by me - with 50% PG/50% Water and prolly a 5% concentration.

I'm using nothing else, and finally someone will be able to tell if spironolactone works..

I'm a bit confused as to why you're giving this only 2 months which is not anywhere near long enough to determnine the efficacy of either treatment. Your statement that minoxidil can give you your hair back in 2 months is also quite confusing to me. minoxidil will never grow your hair back in 2 months. Where are you coming up with this? Certainly if you are a good responder you may see the beginnings of something in 2 months, but chances are you will not, so you plan to quit your experiment after this timeframe? Or are you just reporting your observations at 2 months and continuing?

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
DrGrow said:

So..

You are comparing apples and oranges. The spironolactone is not a good growth stimulant, it is an antiandrogen(like finasteride) On the other hand, apple poly is a growth stimulant (like minoxidil) , not an antiandrogen. Also as stated, two months is inadequate to determine efficacy, you will need at least 6 months. IMO, you should be combining the two rather than comparing them.

DrGrow

Reaction score
In 2005 and late 2006 I used minoxidil on my temples which had diffused and receded.

In 2005.. I completely covered my temples within 1.5 months

In 2006.. I completely covered my temples in 2.25 months

I'm a rapid responder.. But theres a downside, I lost 70% density of my hair, because I react to minoxidil that well.

Your correct, they both fight in different directions.. And perhaps I shouldn't compete.. but I won't combine so that I can answer two questions.

By the 2 month mark.. I want to know

1. Will spironolactone give me vellus hair the way finasteride did?
2. Will Apple Poly grow hair the way minoxidil did?

That way I can answer two unknowns.

1. Is spironolactone equivalent, similar in effect to finasteride?
2. Is Apple Poly 200% better than minoxidil.. or does it at least do the same job?

If what is said about these two are correct, then in 2 months time, my left temple should be covered in vellus hair, and my right temple should be covered with almost terminal hair. These are the effects I get with finasteride/minoxidil.. so these are the effects I will need with these two to determine whether or not they are equiuv.

beaner

Reaction score
Good luck.

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
DrGrow said:
In 2005.. I completely covered my temples within 1.5 months

In 2006.. I completely covered my temples in 2.25 months

If that is what you want to do, then fine, but I would stretch it out to at least 3 months, since it seems it took you longer last time around.

DrGrow

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong.. I won't call it a failure if there are signs of growth but not similar.

I'm simply looking for any new hairs. Doesn't have to be terminal, but in comparison to finasteride/minoxidil, they have to at least show that they are coming up.

If the signs are there, I will extend it to 3 months, then combine the both to see what a double-action would do.

RadioRaheem

Established Member
Reaction score
DrGrow said:

If you can, I'd suggest maybe even tryin out Gen Hair's version, the S5 Cream

Whyatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds interesting, don't want to miss the outcome!

Hmm, I've just built a car, it looks like a volvo and I refer to it as volvo..but it really doesn't make it a genuine volvo now does it? :)

What I mean is that Apple Poly is the name of a certain product and I don't think your homemade solution should be compared to it, could make ppl confused when you publish your outcome.

DrGrow

Reaction score
Whyatt said:
Sounds interesting, don't want to miss the outcome!

Hmm, I've just built a car, it looks like a volvo and I refer to it as volvo..but it really doesn't make it a genuine volvo now does it? :)

What I mean is that Apple Poly is the name of a certain product and I don't think your homemade solution should be compared to it, could make ppl confused when you publish your outcome.

It could be worse m8.

Whyatt

Established Member
Reaction score
But I think I have a point.

Anyway, gl with your project and may your follicles wake up from the dead like the famous monster of dr.frankenstein.

:freaked2:

DrGrow

Reaction score
SO FAR..

APPLE POLY HAS STIMULATED GROWTH ON ONE TEMPLE.. I NOW HAVE VELLUS HAIRS THAT SEEM TO BE GROWING.

spironolactone IS MAKING RANDOM HAIRS GROW ON THE OTHER SIDE. THEY ARE BECOMING TERMINAL QUICKER BUT AREN'T AS MUCH IN QUANTITY.

APPLE POLY DOES NOT WORK AS QUICK AS minoxidil, BUT NEVERTHELESS IT SEEMS TO WORK.

WILL CONTINUE.

DRGROW.

Whyatt

Established Member
Reaction score
plz keep us posted - how long have u been on spironolactone/AP so far?

RadioRaheem

Established Member
Reaction score
DrGrow said:
SO FAR..

APPLE POLY HAS STIMULATED GROWTH ON ONE TEMPLE.. I NOW HAVE VELLUS HAIRS THAT SEEM TO BE GROWING.

spironolactone IS MAKING RANDOM HAIRS GROW ON THE OTHER SIDE. THEY ARE BECOMING TERMINAL QUICKER BUT AREN'T AS MUCH IN QUANTITY.

APPLE POLY DOES NOT WORK AS QUICK AS minoxidil, BUT NEVERTHELESS IT SEEMS TO WORK.

WILL CONTINUE.

DRGROW.

Thanks for the update. Please continue to keep us posted! :)

BH 90 NWtwo 10

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been using apple poly for 2.5 months ONCE a day (at night) and have not noticed any regrowth from it