spironolactone very drying on the hair

absmon

Established Member
Reaction score
I have used spironolactone now for 4 days (nightly applications) and it is really drying on the hair. It seems to sap the hair of moisture resulting in a dull look to the hair. This is probably due to the high alcohol content. Do you guys have the same problem? Would applying folligen help?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
yea I had the same problem...I'm slowly tapering off spironolactone because of it. Just too much alcohol for me. It really dries my hair out.

absmon

Established Member
Reaction score
BadHairDecade wrote:
yea I had the same problem...I'm slowly tapering off spironolactone because of it. Just too much alcohol for me. It really dries my hair out.

You have been using spironolactone now for a couple of months, did you get a shed from it. You also use tricomin in your regimen, does that help with spironolactone induced dryness. Are you seeing anything positives from spironolactone i.e. vellous hairs getting thicker or reduced hairloss. The good thing about spironolactone is that it is very cheap. 3 bottles should be enough for a whole year, costing around $60.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's not a spironolactone problem; that's a vehicle problem. Use a different vehicle or reduce the alcohol content if it bothers you. Adding some propylene glycol might help too, though it would not reduce the total amount of alcohol applied assuming the amount of spironolactone you apply stays the same. However, since ethanol evaporates very fast, adding the PG might have an effect similar to replacing some of the ethanol with PG. Alternatively, you could replace some of the ethanol with PG by evaporating some of it out of the solution, but if you do that I suggest making sure that you add plenty of antioxidants like BHT, and don't let it sit directly exposed to light or for too long. Ideally, you would evaporate it under reduced pressure, but most people don't have the means to do that at home. One final remark: PG will also stabilize the spironolactone better than alcohol because it is more viscous.

Dave