spironolactone Vs. Finestride

sunray73

Reaction score
My sex drive has been GREATLY(can't emphasize enough here) reduced after using this regimen for a little over a month now. I'm pretty certain the finasteride is what's doing it here. My question is this:

1) Is spironolactone just about the same as finasteride, minus the side effects?
2) Should I stick to this regimen and just add some libido enhancer or something?
3) Will topical finasteride 0.25% cause the same problems?

This is so frustrating...

Britannia

Reaction score
Hi. Try to stick to your regeime for a little while longer. Its normal in a minority of people to get some sides when they first start taking finasteride (first few months). As your body adjusts to the hormonal change induced by the Finasteride (the change that will save your hair) its possible to get some slight side effects, but if you can try to ride them out. As HairLossTalk.com and many others on here point out, you should give treatments the full 12 months before deciding how well they are helping.

DonaldAnderson

Experienced Member
Reaction score
spironolactone is applied topically. An anti-androgen that is suppose to be a local dht inhibitor while not being absorbed into our systems. I haven't experienced any side effects.
However, there is not as much documented success in spironolactone as in finasteride.

sunray73

Reaction score
I've actually started Finesteride a while back ( 1 1/2 years) and added the rest of my regimen last month. I've notice the sex drive ruducing for the past year but just this past month was like absolutely no urge. I decided to add 6-Oxo to the mix to bump up the testosterone levels and reduce estrogen. Hopefully this balances me out a bit. Any thoughts?

Britannia

Reaction score
sunray73 said:
decided to add 6-Oxo to the mix to bump up the testosterone levels and reduce estrogen. Hopefully this balances me out a bit. Any thoughts?

No dont do this. Finasteride does not reduce levels of testosterone in the body. It merely prevents its transformation into a more potent form called DHT. Dont mess around with 6-Oxo. Anyone who is not a Consultant Endocrinlogist should not even think about self prescribing drugs this way.

mogadon

Established Member
Reaction score
well if you have been noticing libido problems for the last year, you will have to decide, maybe its time you tried spironolactone and revovigen, you could try reducing your finasteride dose first, and see how you get on, spironolactone defiantly does not cause sexual sides effects,but it still falls under the unproven category, libido enhancers wont do much because they cant enhance dht, only test, which is not gonna help your libido. as its the lack of dht thats your problem