spironolactone?

junior_senior

Reaction score
I've seen this name being tossed around alot...

I don't really know anything about it though other than that it is a DHT inhibitor. Is it an equivalent alternative to finasteride?

How does it work? Any articles/websites I could check out?

Anybody using this product? Do tell!!

Rock

Hairybush1

Established Member
Reaction score
Its an anti androgen that competes with dht for the receptor site in the hair follicile. At least thats what I think it does to the best of my memory.

Will you find alot of before and after pics of people who used spironolactone? No. Does it work? Maybe.

Thats the best youll hear of it.

The Gardener

Reaction score
There is one study, with a few before/after pictures, that concluded spironolactone to be effective. It's that infamous Italian study that I'm sure could be found but I'm too tired, too pissed off, and too lazy from the shitty day I had at work to open up a second browser window and google it up. I have googled it before and it is easy to find, published in many places, but from my memory only the study that was in Italian had the actual before/after pix.

I don't think it is a replacement per se for finasteride. Finast and spironolactone both really concentrate on each of the two different kinds of DHT that attack the hair. So, you could use either alone, but I would think that finast AND spironolactone together would probably complement each other rather well.

viperfish

Reaction score
The pictures from the Italian study are not good. I have never seen a picture demonstrating that spironolactone is effective. Lets look at it this way, spironolactone is used by people that visit these forums only. Most people do not even know what spironolactone is unless they have visited these hairloss forums. It is not like finasteride that is used by millions who do not even know these hairloss sights. Ok so how many people can honestly say that spironolactone is actually helping unquestionably..................maybe one or two. spironolactone looks good on paper, but people simply do not see results from it. No good pictures supporting its use and no real testimonies. It simply is not effective!