spironolactone

bobo

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts and experiences with spironolactone? I'm starting finasteride this week and was wondering if I should add spironolactone. My regimen currently consists of nizoral 1%(3 times a week), min 5% (morning and evening), zix (middle of day), and folligen cream (before bed). My hairline is receding, so what do you guys think?

bobo

Reaction score
And should I get 5% or 2%. They are both about the same supply, but much different prices. Is 5% that much better? Which do you recommend?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
DOn't bother...you're already taking a lot of stuff. Hopefully you've haven't been adding stuff every couple of months. The best thing to do is stick with a simple regimen for at least a year before changing things up.
Otherwise you'll never know what's working and what's not.

I was using 2% spironolactone for a few months and the high alcohol content irritated my scalp and dried out my hair a lot. I was also using 5% minoxidil and finasteride. Once i dropped the spironolactone my hair and scalp health has improved quite a bit.
BTW 2% is a liquid 5% is a cream

Minox_Baby

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd mention that I have recently quit finasteride due to increased temporal and vertex recession. I read somewhere that finasteride makes your frontal hairs more sensitive to DHT, which in turn will screw-up your hairline.

I've seen numerous posts by people claiming that finasteride made their frontal recession worse and have continued to use finasteride in the hope that it will get better in the long run, which it never did.

Check out this post that was on hairlosshelp the other day:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... adid=40127

If I where you I'd buy a bottle of Dr lee's 2% spironolactone dabber (not much $) and apply it to your hairline twice a day while on finasteride. I just wished that I'd used something like fluridil or revivogen on my hairline instead of panicking and jumping on finasteride straight away.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Minox_Baby said:
Just thought I'd mention that I have recently quit finasteride due to increased temporal and vertex recession. I read somewhere that finasteride makes your frontal hairs more sensitive to DHT, which in turn will screw-up your hairline.

I've seen numerous posts by people claiming that finasteride made their frontal recession worse and have continued to use finasteride in the hope that it will get better in the long run, which it never did.

First off, there is absolutely no evidence that finasteride makes your frontal hairs more sensitive to DHT. In fact, it does just the opposite.
Posts by people claiming this doesn't amount to anything. It's most likely they are just not a responder to finasteride and their hair is falling out from male pattern baldness. I've had male pattern baldness for 10 years and it was going pretty slow then all of a sudden it really started to fall out bad especially in the front. It got worse in 6 months than it did for three years. I wasn't on any kind of treatment then. This is the same thing that guy is going through in the thread you posted.
male pattern baldness is weird it can go slow,fast, or a little of both.
To the original poster...Stick with what your doing, add the kitchen sink when all else fails.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think it's possible that someone who had a lot of weak hairs from male pattern baldness could experience an extended shed from finasteride. Then if that person is not a responder, he'll think that finasteride caused him to lose hair, when in reality he would have lost that hair in a short time anyway. This is why anecdotal evidence is not very persuasive. People reach incorrect conclusions on causal relationships all the time.

Someone takes saw palmetto along with a half dozen other treatments, believes he is responding well, and claims that sp is the "backbone" of his program, and attributes his results to sp. You can't reason with such folks because they are not trained in analytical thinking. All you can do is give that type of thinking the proper weight it deserves, which is none.