Started both finasteride and minoxidil. Should I have just started finasteride?

Minox_Baby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I started finasteride about 2 months ago due to increased recession at the temples and then frontal diffusion (which really freaked me out). I also started minoxidil about a month later to try and regrow the hair that I had lost prior to using finasteride.

From rough calculations I went from a norwood 1 to a norwood 2 in a matter of weeks. So I decided to get on the big 3 straight away. However, reading a number of post many people recommend staying on finasteride for a year and then maybe add minoxidil then. Have I made the wrong decision getting on minoxidil now. I'm 25 by the way.

Cheers ,
Warren.

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
regimen

to me, if you are 25, and you want best results, results that will most likely last 5-10 years, I would go ahead and do all three.

There are a lot of people who talk about loss of effectiveness (with both finasteride and minoxidil), but to me, you want to maximize your success and cosmetical acceptability. And there are no studies of the longevity (the fact that it may be significantly increased) when you use ALL THREE.

Also, there is always the argument that if you keep the follicles alive and well with both a DHT inhibitor and a regrowth stimulant, you will be moving into a forward point in time when another treatment will come along. One that might very well require that you have follicles in excellent shape.

I wasted several months JUST doing minoxidil. If I had being doing all three, I would be the same age I am now, with more hair. It's really that simple.

Minox_Baby

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply celtic. I too wasted a couple of months delaying the use of finasteride. I started using procerin due to the side effects that I read were associated with finasteride. Most of them from these message boards).

Biggest mistake I ever made. I lost a good cm from my frontal and vertex regions (plus thinning at the frontal region) and now I'm playing catch-up. If I'd started the finasteride instead of the procerin I would be alot happier than I'am now.

Thats basically why I jumped on the minoxidil bandwagon, to try and reclaim what I've lost. However, with the loss being at the frontal regions I doubt I'll ever get them back.

But I'm gonna stick with the big 3 and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Warren.