Started losing at birth, then again at 25

logikmtr

Reaction score
My genes boggle the mind. I looked like I was 9 years old until I turned 17, which was the year I started puberty. That's not an exaggeration. I have pics but will never show them. After that, I looked like I was 15. You can imagine how this panned out in high school trying to get dates. When I was in my early to mid twenties I was getting carded when buying tickets to rated R movies. Everything was a painful reminder of how I didn't look like I should have. Wonderful.

At 25, I started to look like a man. That same year, my hair began to fall out. I lost my temples first, and then I noticed over the next year that the hair on the top of my head was getting wispy. At 27, I started minoxodil twice a day, every day for a year. Nothing happened. No shedding, no vellus hairs, nothing. I went to the barber and said, "Hey, I'm going bald, should I just shave my head and get it over with?", and he told me no, because I have the kind of head shape that looks terrible with a buzz cut. I have a huge nose and a weak forehead. Great.

So I went to a hair doctor at 28, and he noted that I had already lost a sizeable amount of hair, to the point where you could see a circle of hair on the front of my head, with the rest of the hair on top thinning diffusely. It looks like a Norwood 5A, sort of, but not slick bald yet. I asked about a hair transplant, and he quoted me $12,000 for a FUE, but said it would be a stupid idea because with diffuse thinning, you run the risk of damaging the neighbouring follicles. Fantastic.

He recommended starting finasteride and going on min (again), which I reluctantly did, even though I told him how poorly I had responded to min before. I started the big 3, and made a laser hat device for my regimen, which I have stuck to since this past January. I also used a very shallow dermaroller (very lightly and taking all precautions) to help the absorption of the min. I've had testicle pain with the finasteride, which concerns me greatly, but overall the regimen was doing it for me. 5 months in, the hair was filling in where it was diffuse, especially in the front. The before and after pictures are actually quite impressive, and I was even getting ready to post in the success stories thread.

Now suddenly, in the past few weeks I have reverted to about where I started from. Massive shedding, and I can once again see the patch of hair in the front while the rest of it falls out. I'm frustrated with everything right now. My lack of options, the ineffectiveness of the medicine we have available... just everything.

tl;dr version:
1. Started losing at 25.
2. Min doesn't work for me.
3. Can't shave my lumpy, peanut head without looking like a non-stop loser.
4. Was told hair transplant wasn't for me because of diffuse pattern loss.
5. Big 3 regimen worked for a few months, now seems to be reverting to pre-treatment condition.
6. :mad:

winnyblues

Banned
Reaction score
life is tough mate
get smp/hair transplant imo
stay on finasteride
dunno about minoxidil
try keeping yourself healthy by exercising
get a well paying job
invest for the future
hard work pays off

winnyblues

Banned
Reaction score
scalp micro pigmentation
u could get it in conjunction with a hair transplant to make your hair look thicker

logikmtr

Reaction score
Thanks winnyblues. I guess the hair transplant surgeon I consulted was concerned about shock loss. He pitched it like, "we could give it a try, but it would be a big waste of money if you lost healthy follicles in the process". The pigmentation thing is cool, but I can't imagine the effect lasting more than a few years without changing color or getting blurry. I understand the ink quality is a factor, but to my knowledge no one knows what the pigmentation will look like in 10 years.

Also, my post may sound bitter, but I sort of find the "hapless loser" thing funny. I'm not sure how it reads to others, but I try to stay positive about my situation. I guess that's my coping mechanism. I'm very thankful that this community is here, and all the hard work everyone puts in. Thanks everyone!

Bottlecap

Established Member
Reaction score
I've only just started the big 3 myself so haven't had any result or sheds. But I think quite often people have big sheds, then it grows back thicker!! I'd definitly keep up with the big3 if I was you, your probably going to be a really good responder!

Blessed99

Reaction score
scalp micro pigmentation
u could get it in conjunction with a hair transplant to make your hair look thicker

I definitely would not choose this option. I've seen older people with this and it looks terrible. They get tons of stares because of how terrible it looks.

Bald > Scalp pigmentation

juliobarbaroto

Reaction score
Oh god, why does it sound SO familiar?

People have always told me I look like a teenager. I can't even grow a beard. Seriously, I have no facial hair other than a few ones in my chin and my neck (it looks nasty).

Now, all of a sudden, it seems that I'm finally going to look like a man - by going f***ing bald.

Guess I don't have much to say, let me just commiserate with you. :sad:

logikmtr

Reaction score
Guess I don't have much to say, let me just commiserate with you. :sad:

I hear you. It sucks when your options are limited. I look like a goon with a shaved head, but going to the gym and getting a body is way more effective at making you attractive than minoxidil. Which brings up another thing I'd like to share:

I recently saw Sharknado 2 starring Mark McGrath from Sugar Ray. He has exactly the same hair he had in the 90s. And you know what? It looks ridiculous. I think I owe him thanks, since he has single-handedly done more to make me accept my current situation than anything else so far. Such a young haircut on such an old face. :hairy:

After talking to my family, I discovered that prostate cancer (and other assorted prostate issues) were common in my family. After taking 1.25mg of finasteride every other day for 6 months and never getting over the constant dull ache in my testes, I'm thinking about giving it up completely. My goal was to regrow hair and keep my follicles active until the next gen medication came along (setipiprant?), but I'm not sure it's worth the risk of exacerbating potential health issues to do so. Especially when getting a proven medication seems to still be years away.