Started Nizoral, now have a huge shed and look thinner than ever

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
So in Mar 2015 I started minoxidil by itself. I was on it until October and was not seeing any changes. I still shed the normal amount and I was not thickening up or regrowing anything, and I realized not being on finasteride made the whole thing pointless so I dropped minoxidil for the time being.

Then earlier this month/late last month, I started Nizoral 1% twice a week. Over the past 2 weeks, my hair has looked way thinner all of the sudden, I mean it's really bad and behaving really bad too, like it's dried out. I know I could just be rapidly shedding due to the male pattern baldness, but my hair was not balding this rapidly last month.

I'm thinking I am either going through a shed from quitting minoxidil, from the Nizoral working, or both. I have also read that Nizoral has made some people's hair just look really bad due to the other ingredients in it messing their hair up.

Should I stick to nizoral 2x a week and see how it goes for another month or two? Before this I was just using T-Gel on my hair and it always made my hair look thick, but nizoral seems to do the opposite.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the past 2 weeks of using nizoral 1% I've noticed my hair is looking a lot thinner on top too especially the temples. First few times I thought my hair looked thicker after using it. But the past week it's been the opposite.

Been on 1.25 Proscar daily for 5 weeks as well

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
First few times I thought my hair looked thicker after using it. But the past week it's been the opposite.

Same here, first couple of times it thickened my hair much like T-Gel. T-Gel by itself still gives me volume, but nizoral is either making me shed it somehow making my hair act thinner. I have read some people say it makes their hair more oily in the long run.

I think I'm going to switch back to just T-Gel for a week and see if it makes a difference. If it's a shed because the nizoral is working, I don't want to stop though.

bluemoon1212

Established Member
Reaction score
nizoral isnt making either of you shed. You're losing hair because you have male pattern baldness. If you're not on an AA, kiss that **** goodbye. If you are, give it more time. Way more.

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
nizoral isnt making either of you shed. You're losing hair because you have male pattern baldness. If you're not on an AA, kiss that **** goodbye. If you are, give it more time. Way more.

The thing is I was not shedding at this rate before. It would be quite a coincidence that my male pattern baldness kicks into overdrive when I start taking a shampoo that is supposedly anti-DHT.

If Nizoral is indeed even a weak anti-DHT, it would have to shed weaker hairs to eventually regrow them.

Regardless, I'm taking a break for a week. I think nizoral is simply making my hair look weaker because I just used T-Gel last night and my hair looks fuller.

gkdmv2015HLT

Reaction score
nizoral Vs T-Gel

The thing is I was not shedding at this rate before. It would be quite a coincidence that my male pattern baldness kicks into overdrive when I start taking a shampoo that is supposedly anti-DHT.

If Nizoral is indeed even a weak anti-DHT, it would have to shed weaker hairs to eventually regrow them.

Regardless, I'm taking a break for a week. I think nizoral is simply making my hair look weaker because I just used T-Gel last night and my hair looks fuller.

Guys,just thought of sharing my experience with both nizoral and T-Gel

I've been a long-time user of nizoral (2-3 times per week) and just started using T-Gel since like 2 weeks ago.Not trying to draw conclusions fast but I do think nizoral was making my hair shed worse at times..again what works for somebody may not work for everybody..I'm just taking a break from nizoral for now

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys,just thought of sharing my experience with both nizoral and T-Gel

I've been a long-time user of nizoral (2-3 times per week) and just started using T-Gel since like 2 weeks ago.Not trying to draw conclusions fast but I do think nizoral was making my hair shed worse at times..again what works for somebody may not work for everybody..I'm just taking a break from nizoral for now

I too use T-Gel and am taking a break from nizoral until Wednesday at least.

I am fine with shedding if it means nizoral will make those hairs grow back a bit thicker.