StartingToRecede's story - (About me how bad am i ?)

StartingToRecede

Reaction score
Hey, im a 27 male with a receding hairline or at least i think it is. Here is the proper link...

http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/k56 ... gToRecede/

here are some questions i have

1. I was wondering what i am on the norwood scale?
2. Should i start propecia?
3. If worst comes to worst how many graft hair transplant do i need?
4. I heard some people say it is not good to get a hair transplant when you just start to lose hair.. why is that? I am a noob so excuse my dumb questions.
5. Does propecia help with the frontal or does it only thicken up the vertex?
6. I used to cut my hair short all the time now im afraid if i cut it bald people see how badly i am receding. Any advice is appreciated fellas.
7. If i just let my hair stay relaxed when it is long or even pony tail it when it is long it is not that noticeable. The only time it is noticeable is when i pull it back and take a picture like i did below.
8. Do you think the fact i pull my hair back really hard makes my hair looks more recessed than it is?
Here are some of my photos... if you guys need clearer shots let me know or if any experts want to see me via skype let me know as well through pm i will shoot you my skype. (no homo)
9. Do i have a "maturing" adult hairline... is that just that a myth. I see plenty of people with really low nice hairlines ::envies;:: when they are in their 30s and 40s. any insight is greatly appreicated!

StartingToRecede

Reaction score
Re: About me how bad am i ?

ps... am i just pulling too hard? when its relaxed it don't look that bad but maybe that is just because there is so much hair? i pulled kinda hard even in the front (im fine with the hairline in the front) but it made it look higher than it was so maybe that is what happened when i pulled from the sides?

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score

StartingToRecede said:
Hey, im a 27 male with a receding hairline or at least i think it is. Here is the proper link...

4. I heard some people say it is not good to get a hair transplant when you just start to lose hair.. why is that? I am a noob so excuse my dumb questions.
6. I used to cut my hair short all the time now im afraid if i cut it bald people see how badly i am receding. Any advice is appreciated fellas.
7. If i just let my hair stay relaxed when it is long or even pony tail it when it is long it is not that noticeable. The only time it is noticeable is when i pull it back and take a picture like i did below.
8. Do you think the fact i pull my hair back really hard makes my hair looks more recessed than it is?
Here are some of my photos... if you guys need clearer shots let me know or if any experts want to see me via skype let me know as well through pm i will shoot you my skype. (no homo)

Hi there. I'm going to try to address all of your questions.

If I had to assign you a Norwood I would say Norwood 1.5 at most. You have a nice mature hairline and your hair seems very thick. If you have no crown thinning then I see no reason to even think you are going bald. So no, I wouldn't recommend getting on propecia. Most guys don't have a straight hairline in their late 20s and a little bit of recession is normal. Propecia will help hair affected by DHT anywhere on the scalp, but it works better in the crown region. The frontal hair, especially the temples and corners, usually can't be saved with finasteride because good old testosterone is usually potent enough to cause hair loss in that area of the scalp.

The reason why people say not to get transplants early on is because you could recede a lot more and then it would look very odd to have tufts of hair along the hairline with a bald area behind it. Just get the thought of a hair transplant out of your mind for now.

You can cut your hair short and nobody, not even Norwood spotters like me, would consider you to be balding. If you are concerned about your hairline DO NOT use ponytails because that can cause traction alopecia which will make your hairline recede. If you have male pattern baldness, it will just exacerbate the hairline recession. I hope this helps.

StartingToRecede

Reaction score

Lloyd Braun said:
StartingToRecede said:

Hi there. I'm going to try to address all of your questions.

If I had to assign you a Norwood I would say Norwood 1.5 at most. You have a nice mature hairline and your hair seems very thick. If you have no crown thinning then I see no reason to even think you are going bald. So no, I wouldn't recommend getting on propecia. Most guys don't have a straight hairline in their late 20s and a little bit of recession is normal. Propecia will help hair affected by DHT anywhere on the scalp, but it works better in the crown region. The frontal hair, especially the temples and corners, usually can't be saved with finasteride because good old testosterone is usually potent enough to cause hair loss in that area of the scalp.

The reason why people say not to get transplants early on is because you could recede a lot more and then it would look very odd to have tufts of hair along the hairline with a bald area behind it. Just get the thought of a hair transplant out of your mind for now.

You can cut your hair short and nobody, not even Norwood spotters like me, would consider you to be balding. If you are concerned about your hairline DO NOT use ponytails because that can cause traction alopecia which will make your hairline recede. If you have male pattern baldness, it will just exacerbate the hairline recession. I hope this helps.

i actually have a widows peak bro... are you an expert on this topic??? i could show you my hair via skype.. if you would like..

malo

Established Member
Reaction score
You have what appears to be a mature hairline plenty of people your age get them.
If you live in a large city find a hair restoration doctor and find out if they can perform a hair miniaturization test this will help you predict any future hair loss.
Remember hair loss is hereditary so look to your father and maternal grandfather. While these are not absolute predictors of what you will end up like it is a good place to start. It is an unpredictable trait.
I have 3 cousins who had all the hair cards stacked against them and still have the hair they had at twenty they are 50, 59, and 65 respectively.
Also remember that people on these forums feel free to dispense a great deal of anecdotal information, however they are not medical professionals.
They are only experts on their own hair.
As a final observation It looks like you have a great head of hair.
I hope this helps.

StartingToRecede

Reaction score
do you guys think the fact i have long hair skews the results... like how bald/receding/thick i really am since i have so much hair? is the best way to do these types of tests to see yourself totally bald? i have not cut my hair in 2 years.. do you think that has anything to do with it?

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score

StartingToRecede said:
i actually have a widows peak bro... are you an expert on this topic??? i could show you my hair via skype.. if you would like..

No, I'm not an expert on this topic in the strictly academic sense but I did stay at a Holiday last night. I'll respectfully decline the skype thing. You have provided good pictures and that is all I need. Go to a hair transplant doctor and get a miniaturization test if you want. You may recede more you may have 99% the same hairline 15 years from now. I have no way of knowing of course. As of now, however, you show no signs of being doomed to baldness. You may be but the photos don't suggest it. Don't stress about it. Here is what a receded hairline looks like (two pics of me) and even I am a pretty mild case. So be happy :)