Steve's Story - (19 / alpecin &nizoral )

um55

Reaction score
Im steve and 19yrs old, I have been receding slowly but surely since about the age of 16 and am probably getting on for norwood 2 now alhough it is not too visable due to the way i style my longish hair. Started improving my diet for around 2 years to include potentially hair beneficial items such as green tea, broccoli and pumpkin seeds but i felt that shedding incresed towards the end of 2009. So from new year 2010 start the following regime.
Day 1- Alpecin caffeine shampoo followed by the tonic
Day 2- Nizoral 1%
Day 3- dont wash hair but sometimes use the alpecin tonic

I have been doing this just under a month, so it would be impossible to notice any difference although my shedding does seem to have decreased. I havn't had any problems with the nizoral at all, although it probably does make my hair a bit drier. I have been experimenting with rinsing it after with water with a little olive oil mixed in after which works well although only a very small amount of oil is needed. I also take 1gm of bee propolis daily.

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
what exactly is alpecin?
I've never heard of it before....do alot of people here use it for hair loss?

If it does work i'd love to add that to my regime as well.

um55

Reaction score
hi, its a caffeine based shampoo which is supposed to prevent hairloss. I think the other active ingrediants are zinc and niacin. There is also a tonic which can be used post wash. Im not that sure how strong the evidence is on caffeine and it may just be a marketing tactic although my shedding does seem to have decreased, I guess i'll just give it a year and see how it goes as my scalp seems to respond well to it and it is quite cheap. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had success with it?

SunOfABeach

Reaction score
Guys, stay away from Alpecin please.

I´m from Germany, where this product comes from and nobody here has seen any improvements using this crap. Everyone in the german hairloss forum hates this stuff and we advice everyone to stay away from it and spend their money on proven medication.

um55

Reaction score
thanks for the reply sunofabeach. Do you think the caffeine idea is just a marketing scam?
What would you recomend to use alongside nizoral instead of the alpecin?
perhaps spiroctane, as i am not too keen to start taking propecia?
I will try to post some photos soon