Still don't understand how to differentiate shedding vs. hair loss

HairCome2Me

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell whether one is shedding or simply continuing to lose hair? I've been on the big 3 for two years now and have continued to lose hair throughout this time frame. Hair is noticeably worse than baseline. There's no such thing as a continual shed right? Seems like what I am experiencing is a non-response to treatment :(

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Hello HairC2M,
I am sorry thinks aren't improving well for you. Treatment benefits can be touch and go early in the waiting game. Try and be patient and
give finasteride. at least 1.5 year total treatment before quitting. If you'll already at this stage or have been consistently treating your male pattern baldness for this time span or greater, then it's possible you are not responding.

We all shed as you know, the signature difference with male pattern baldness affected hair is that
male pattern baldness disturbed hairs prematurely fall out and typically regrow progressively worse each time until they eventually are too weakened to regrow at all.
As you know or will learn this process can happen suddenly or slowly progress until baldness is evident.

I hope your experience turns around for you. Keep us informed and all my best.

HairCome2Me

Reaction score
So is there no way to tell whether lost hair is shedding (thin hair falling out but will later grow back thicker)or male pattern baldness? The only way to tell is by grinding through and hoping for the best I guess...at what point do I stop and consider treatment a failure?

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to tell whether one is shedding or simply continuing to lose hair? I've been on the big 3 for two years now and have continued to lose hair throughout this time frame. Hair is noticeably worse than baseline. There's no such thing as a continual shed right? Seems like what I am experiencing is a non-response to treatment :(

It can take a long time as ID walker said however 2 years is long enough (most doctors would even say 1 year). If you're not seeing at least maintenance and your hair is actually getting worse after 2 years then you should stop wasting your money or consider a hair transplant. Sorry.

Y3K

Reaction score
I suppose the only way to tell the difference would be how you look after a few months..... has it got better/stayed the same or has it got worse? If it is worse then it was hair loss. Not scientific but I can't think of another way to tell the difference.