Still shedding after 4.5 months on Finasteride

mjk258

Reaction score
I have been on Finasteride for 4.5 months and during that time shedding has increased severely. I'm losing a ton of high quality terminal hairs every time I shower.

It seems as though the hairs are attached to my scalp very fragilely. If I so much as touch my hair I get many hairs on my hands.

I have noticed a peculiar itch since I started finasteride that wasn't there before hand. I have tried to combat it using Zinc Pyrithione and later Selsun Blue, neither seemed to have much effect. A doctor later prescribed me corticosteroid lotion but I haven't taken it because I feel that its not a long term solution and it is recognized that chronic us will damage your hair.

Since the "finasteride shed" has not subsided after 4.5 solid months, is it to say that finasteride is not working out for me? Its very depressing but I think this may be the case. If I were at least seeing a decrease in shedding I would be more hopefull but it seems the opposite is happening.

brian liles

Reaction score
I think you should stick with it. It took 11 months and 25 days for propecia to work for me. I kinda look worse now than baseline, so i am hoping that since it just kicked in for on may 25 2012, I will see thickening and reversal in the coming months.

If i were you I would not use the corticosteroid on your scalp. corticosteroid can accelarate hairloss, since its a steroid. Just use nizoral shampoo once a week. stick with the propecia.

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have been on Finasteride for 4.5 months and during that time shedding has increased severely. I'm losing a ton of high quality terminal hairs every time I shower.

It seems as though the hairs are attached to my scalp very fragilely. If I so much as touch my hair I get many hairs on my hands.

I have noticed a peculiar itch since I started finasteride that wasn't there before hand. I have tried to combat it using Zinc Pyrithione and later Selsun Blue, neither seemed to have much effect. A doctor later prescribed me corticosteroid lotion but I haven't taken it because I feel that its not a long term solution and it is recognized that chronic us will damage your hair.

Since the "finasteride shed" has not subsided after 4.5 solid months, is it to say that finasteride is not working out for me? Its very depressing but I think this may be the case. If I were at least seeing a decrease in shedding I would be more hopefull but it seems the opposite is happening.
Ever got regrowth?

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score

please respond my friend