Still shedding after 6 months.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
So basically, I've been shedding since October till now, but it seems very irregular. Some weeks I rarely lose any hairs at all, others I shed like an animal. Lots of loose hairs on the back of my head as well, which are very easy to pull out.

The shedding started around the hairline, but this has stabilized for now. My biggest worries are about the top of my head, and the crown, as both are noticeably thinner than before. Hairline also is in a bad shape (even though there are little new hairs, but they could be miniaturized hairs I really don't know).

Hair appears thicker than before though, but quickly turns out the worst when I put minoxidil in it (5% Kirkland liquid). It also hasn't been cut since starting this regime.

First I thought it could be a pro longed shedding from starting Dutasteride in end of August (take it every day, took finasteride for 10 months prior to that though- only experienced a small shedding around november till February/ march but stayed stable with improvement pretty much till summer) or maybe Telogen Effluvium as my sides and backside are also thinner. I've got a pretty unstable life so to say, so that could cause Telogen Effluvium no?

Also have been taking supplements (although not as religiously as taking dutasteride / applying minoxidil) for a while namely; curcuma, multi vit, gingko, beta carotene, fish oil, iron and hemp seed oil, but these cannot cause a shed right?

Have been regrowing slight portions my my frontal hairline round the NW2/ NW1.5 area, but lost some around the NW3 area (am about a NW2.5 with irregular receded sides) so that along with diffuse thinning results in a pretty messy hair do, especially since it's so long.

Since I'm seeing some results, I'm actually pretty happy with my hair now, but this continued shedding drives me insane. It adds a lot of uncertainty about my status, and I'm wondering what the cause is? Anyone with similair experiences?

Pics can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=28&p=611646 , am on my phone so can't upload them now.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. My scalp looks like yours.

The only things that are slowing mines down are Nizoral 2% every 3 days. And MSM internally 2000-3000 mg daily (half morn half night). I've gone from around 200 hairs daily to 50-80 hairs daily.

The more I do the Nizoral and up the MSM to what it is now the less hair loss. The other day I only lost 10 hairs. Another random day only 30 hairs. It may go back up but I'm hoping it stabilizes to that consistently. Then I'll work on regrowth.

This is from a person who's parent has male pattern baldness and is a Norwood 7 at the age of 70 yrs old.