Still shedding after 8 months...

Jet

Reaction score
Hey,

I started taking propecia in the beginning of february 2007. From April onwards, I have been shedding constantly (all over my head) and while I originally took propecia for frontall hairloss, the top of my head is getting thinner at a fast pace (especially when my hair is wet, you can easily see the skin beneath it - if it thins out more then you'll be able to see the skin even when the hair is dry).

Some random info:
-I also take Rogaine foam, but I don't think that has anything to do with the shedding.
-I'm 18 years old
-I have got dandruff/ mild form of seborrheic dermatitis which I think plays a (small) role in my hairloss as well

So, I guess this kind of shedding isn't normal, is it? Is it possible to be constantly shedding from propecia, even after 8 months? And what should I do?

Thanks in advance :)

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
Jet said:
Hey,

I started taking propecia in the beginning of february 2007. From April onwards, I have been shedding constantly (all over my head) and while I originally took propecia for frontall hairloss, the top of my head is getting thinner at a fast pace (especially when my hair is wet, you can easily see the skin beneath it - if it thins out more then you'll be able to see the skin even when the hair is dry).

Some random info:
-I also take Rogaine foam, but I don't think that has anything to do with the shedding.
-I'm 18 years old
-I have got dandruff/ mild form of seborrheic dermatitis which I think plays a (small) role in my hairloss as well

So, I guess this kind of shedding isn't normal, is it? Is it possible to be constantly shedding from propecia, even after 8 months? And what should I do?

Thanks in advance :)

the foam much more than the propecia is probably responsible for the shed,i had a huuuuge shed on foam and only now after 8 months am i seeing good results,you may want to add nizoral 2% shampoo to your regimen for extra anti dht qualities and for overall scalp health but only use 2-3 times a week :)

Jet

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

Well, I only apply foam near the temple area, but my shedding is everywhere: On the top of my head, at the back of my head, etc. So the shedding can't be because of the foam I think?
Btw can a shedding be 6 months long (at a constant pace - with no weeks that had no shedding)? I only see people talking about shedding that's 3 weeks long or sth like that, but in my case, it never stopped.

About the nizoral shampoo: I live in the Netherlands, where that shampoo is not available (as far as I know). However, I use another brand of shampoo called Rooscure which has 2% ketoconazole in it so I think that one is ok as well.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been on dutasteride now for 3-4 months and loss is very aggressive and continues and cannot see any regrowth. Pillow has many hairs every morning.

I don't use minoxidil and I found nizoral 2% too strong...dried my scalp creating dandruff inf anything so I use nizoral 1% 2-3 times a week and hair feels good after. minoxidil seems to cause shedding for almost all who use it. Hair cycles taken into account usually 3-4 months in minimum for hair cycles to get in sync from starting treatments so keep the faith even though you are at 8 months..its different for everyone.

You should see a turnaround soon if its going to happen... Good luck and definitely try the nizoral.