Stop minoxidil after 1 month. shedding?

greejus

Reaction score
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your help. (I’m a newbie)

I’m 26 years old with fairly aggressive receding hairline at the temples and a nice "thumb print" right in the front. I have seen a transplant surgeon (extremely well respected) and scheduled a 2000 graft FUT for later this year.

I started using minoxidil 5% (once daily) about 2 weeks before i saw my surgeon. He said i could continue the minoxidil if i wanted, but its not as effective for growth of the hairline. He wrote me a script for Propecia that i just started...

I used minoxidil for another 2 weeks (4 weeks total) and I found it to be a lot of trouble - MESSY, stained my clothes, sheets, etc. and considering what my doctor said, I didn't think it was worth continuing. (Especially considering lifelong dependency)

I stopped using minoxidil 1 week ago and i have seen a significant increase in shedding of my hair. Anytime i rub my hands over my head, in the shower, drying my hair, etc.

Is this probably the initial shedding that everyone talks about when starting minoxidil?? It's entirely possible that i am just "noticing" more shedding because I’m not paranoid and aware of the changes. But i definitely feel that my hair has thinned out over the entire scalp. If i understand correctly, this hair DOES grow back, but may take some time?

Any wisdom you all have to calm my nerves would be much appreciated.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
A Dermatologist told me that minoxidil can cause a shed within the first month,maybe that's what you're going through now.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
don't worry, it will grow back!! and good luck with your hair transplant