Stop or keep going

compaq1

Reaction score
Sup guys,

I'm five weeks into my finasteride treatmeant , I started finasteride to hold on to the hair that I have since male pattern baldness runs in the family . I have full head of hair with mild hairline receding . Week five into my finasteride I started to shed bad and my hair thinned out big time . I not sure if I should stick with the treatment or stop ? I'm hoping most of the hair lost will grow back .

Gene_Fighter

Established Member
Reaction score
Keep going. I can say this easily even without any pictures. Post them up though, if you can. I'm quite positive you're over-reacting here, but post some anyway, just to confirm. You can typically notice results with Propecia around the year mark. If you really do have male pattern baldness you may expect your hairloss to continue even up to the six month mark, but you should wait one year to determine if Propecia is working for you.

Post some pics, like I said I'm pretty doubtful you're shedding at all, that would be a very fast shed if you were. It's likely you're just expecting too much so when you see your hairloss progressing normally, you may just think you're experiencing a large shed. Comparison pictures will help you here.

Keep with it for a year, in the very least. If you truly are experiencing a large, very unhealthy amount of shedding (make sure you are first), then you may be having a bad reaction to Finasteride (only a very, very small percentage of people do, people who tyically were not balding to begin with), and you should stop. Until then stay with it.

compaq1

Reaction score
i never noticed any shedding before starting finasteride.. i've been shedding at a fast rate for the past 2 weeks but the past few days things seemed to slow down and shedding has went down a bit .. i'm gonna give it 6 more weeks and if the thinning /shedding gets any worst , im gonna stop it

Kaze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey is there itching associated with your new hairloss on propecia? Are your hairs coming out thick and thin with white bulbs on the ends? Are you thinning all over even on the sides and back?

compaq1

Reaction score
Kaze said:
Hey is there itching associated with your new hairloss on propecia? Are your hairs coming out thick and thin with white bulbs on the ends? Are you thinning all over even on the sides and back?

hey , no itching , and yes the hairs that fall out have a white bulbs on the end of the shaft, the thining is not notacible for anyone else but me .. from the looks of it shedding has slowed down a bit , but still more than normal

thanks

pirate101

Reaction score
Hi Ive been using propecia for about a month now, I am noticing that im losing lots of short hairs (my hair is long) is this a good sign or a bad sign?