Stopped After 12 Years On Propecia - My Story

Redfarm

Reaction score
I am a 36 year old male. I started using Propecia when I was 24. I had a full head of hair at the time and really didn't need to be on any drugs, but some of my friends were trying it and the idea of not having to worry about hair loss was reassuring to me.

I had great success with the drug as I didn't lose any hair over the first 10 years of use. If anything my hair actually got thicker. Back in the spring of '14 I decided I want to go off for a little bit. I read some of negative stories about the drug and the idea of taking a pill that changed my hormones for the rest of life started to affect me. The first time I went off was for 10 weeks. I did notice some small changes in my hair and noticed an increased libido, more morning erections etc. It was as though my sexual appetite on the drug was a 5 and off it was 7/8. I went back on the drug as I thought I was noticing thinning of my hair.

Since then I have debated staying on the drug and have gone and off it a number of times over the last two years. The interesting thing when I would go off the drug about 2/3 weeks later I would start to get a strong tingling almost electric feeling in my hair, as though I could feel some change occurring in my scalp. At the same time I would feel a surge of libido and stronger erections/orgasm. I would usually panic due to the feeling in my scalp and go back on the drug. As soon as I did that the feeling went away.

My theory is that after a few weeks my DHT levels increased and the first time off the drug start to affect the hair follicles. My body is adjusting to the new hormones levels in my body and trying to rebalance itself.

This May I decided to try and go off for good. This time when the scalp feelings came I was going to stick it out. Over a period of two weeks I had odd sensations from extreme itching, tingly feeling, my hair felt like it had static electricity passing through it. My hair felt foreign to me. It was a very traumatic experience as it seemed like my hair was changing very rapidly, my scalp was inflamed, I was stressed beyond belief. After about two more weeks the feeling started to go away. My hair stylist said she had other customers go through the same experience and she thought my scalp was almost numb (hence why hair felt foreign) as it adjusted to the new hormones.

I am about 8 weeks on. All the odd feelings have gone away, but my hair feels and looks different to me. My stylist commented that she still thought it was thick on top but that it almost felt like doll hair (my hair on the side doesn't feel like that), whatever that means. To me the hair is in the beginning of the thinning process.

I have done a lot of trial and error these last two years. As an aging man, I think that limiting DHT definitely has a slight to moderate impact on sexual performance. The role DHT plays in erections is very clear. Changing this mechanism will have some impact. For most its very low, for others its more extreme. I also think all of the reading I have done on side effects has had a psychosomatic impact as well, which has made it more challenging being on the drug.

Anyway, I wanted to share my experience and would love to hear from others who might have gone through the same process. I am still debating whether to get back on the drug. Part of me wants to stay off for good, part of me wants to ensure that I save my hair. Thinking of catch up hair loss and watching it/worrying about it on a daily basis is quite stressful and exhausting.

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi! If you decided to get off finasteride, you can try topical spironolactone and topical alfatradiol for maintenance.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah that sexual side risk is there so its just a personal choice if its it worth it or not. Yeah your hair isnt as thick because your shedding off all that hair that propecia saved you over the years. There is no right or wrong answer to dropping a drug its just a personal choice on what you value more which often changes with experience.
Its odd how so many men have that itch that coincides with male pattern baldness. I am in the same boat and I know for a fact my male pattern baldness is directly related to the itch and I know propecia would help me, but I feel my hormones are kind of woman like already so I worry a lot about gyno. Im not sure finasteride is worth the risk for me which is why I doubt finasteride as a long term solution to male pattern baldness.
finasteride could be a long term solution to male pattern baldness if it was safer. That is the big issue in my mind the risks and dangers of the unknown for a life long drug. Is hair worth your health? Im not sure

Reaction score
Have you tried lowering your dose. I also started at 24, I am 38 now. I was taking 1.25 mg EOD when I first started, as I passed 30 I reduced to around 0,75mg EOD, due to sides getting too strong. At around 34 I needed to lower yet again to around 0,45mg EOD because sides were becoming a nuisance. At 38 I find that I can maintain well at 0,2mg EOD with minimal sides, at this dose my sexual performance is at around 75% of what it is if I completely come off for more than two weeks.