Strange pattern of hair loss...Need some advice/diagnosis

ireland90

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Well, here's my story. Since about 4-5 years ago when i was 19-20 i haven't been able to grow my hair down from the crown to my hairline more than a few inches at most.

As the hairs get closer to my hairline they gradually become shorter and shorter, in other words they have a shorter terminal length the closer they are to my forehead. What this means is that basically i can only grow a mullet and "dog ears" off to the sides if i grow it out, as the hair at the sides is perfectly fine too.

These seem to be the areas where male pattern baldness takes effect as far as I'm aware but I've never heard of a case like this. The only hairs that are actually thinning are the ones around my forehead, the other hairs that also shed at certain lengths are perfectly healthy looking (and as thick as the hairs at the back and sides). I only ever visited my doctor once about it and he said they were perfectly healthy and offered the amazing advice to "use more conditioner"....which wasn't much help to say the least.

It's been 4-5 years now since this began and the hairs around my hairline have miniaturized quite a bit, while the rest are still healthy looking but still with a short terminal length. I just find it all really puzzling, how did all my hairs below the crown suddenly begun shedding at a short length and all of a sudden at a relatively young age with no history of balding in the family, and if i am balding why is it so unaggressive in miniaturizing my hair, considering i haven't been using any dht blockers etc. since it began years and years ago.

One thing i remember pretty clearly which is even more strange is my mother commenting on it when it first happened. I had really really long hair and all of a sudden my fringe seemed to disappear between the last time she had seen me and then, which was only 2-3 weeks at most. Around that time though I'd been pretty depressed with an almost nocturnal sleeping pattern, could that have been a trigger for a form of hair loss?

I'd really appreciate some help with this...it has really started to bug me because it's just hit me that even if it is a pretty slow form of hair loss that I'm experiencing, I'll be bald eventually, my high hairline has already really damaged my confidence so i cant imagine how ill feel if i lose all of it.

Thanks

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
no pics.....

probably male pattern baldness

ireland90

Reaction score
no pics.....

probably male pattern baldness

There's not much to show really, its literally as i describe but ill get some pics if its necessary. I've got the normal receding bits at the sides cutting in towards the head and thinner hairs around the hairline. What I'm more concerned about are the short terminal lengths for the hairs in general apart from the thinning wispy hairs.

As far as I'm aware most people can still grow their hairs to any length while receeding (Apart from the thinning hairs obviously), its been nearly 5 years now since I've been able to grow the hairs on top and in front of my head more than a few inches, but they look identical to the hairs at the back and sides of my head.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
the hairs can't grow out because they will shed from miniaturization before they do. Just because you can't tell the thickness difference between a true terminal hair and the "terminal hairs" on the top of your head does not mean they are not weaker. If your hair line is receeding and its only happening on the top of your head its certainly male pattern baldness...

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
It isn't strange, zzzzz explained it well.
A healthy hair will grow for 3-4 years before falling out, whereas when the follicle starts miniaturizing, the hair will fall out after a much shorter time than that, sometimes a few months.
Get on treatment.