StrangeKarma's story - 6 Month UPDATE - WOW!!!!!! PICS!

StrangeKarma

Established Member
Reaction score
First post here, of course I have been lurking for a while..

Started going bald when I was 17, but it has been very slow, and only my hairline around my temples moved in, it was really really slow, so slow that I ignored it for almost 3 years, but was still concious about it enough that I wore hats often even though my hair actually looked pretty good and thick (dark brown wavy hair). But now @ 24, it has gotten so thin recently and I'm going from a NW2 that I was for a long time to a 2.5 and definately on track for a 3V.

Soooo I went to a local hair transplant Doctor to discuss what I could do and where I was at. He gave me some perscriptions and told me to try them for a year, I also looked over this website a bunch and although I am pretty against taking drugs of any kind, and was very weary of the finasteride side effects, I made the decision to say "fk it" and went on my quest to save my precious hair.

Wish me luck! I know how depressing it is for all of us to deal with such a useless and utterly depressing medical condition at such an early age while many other guys walk around with perfect full heads of hair, and I have been through the woe-is-me sh*t many times, but now that I am doing something about it, I can hold my head up high and pray for the best. Even if the treatments make me nervous with the shedding and if they don't work and I end up a NW4 by the time I'm 27, at least I will know I tried.

Good luck to everyone here, maybe one day soon medical science will provide us with an end to our suffering, but until then, goooo drugs! :)

*Update*

Ok, I have progression pictures starting with my baseline top shot, and follow ups until January 10th, 2008. I can not believe how much I have improved.... For those of you unsure about finasteride or minoxidil Foam, please give them a try before it's too late!!! If only I had started treatment about a year or two earlier.... See for yourself (I appologize for the shitty pics, my camera is really really crappy).

Baseline picture from the top, my hair is longer here than in any other picture, was losing hair everywhere, it was falling out by the hundreds per day, I could rub my hair and get 5-10 hairs no problem, I was an emotional wreck. August 10th, 2007
baseline1.jpg

baseline2-1.jpg

Two Months on finasteride - Starting minoxidil Foam, Oct 10, 2007. I shaved my head with a G3, you can clearly see how thin I am at this point, still really in a bad state of mind, but hoping for the best.
minoxbase3.jpg

minoxbase2.jpg

1.5 Months on Min Foam, 4.5 Months on finasteride, hair starting to grow in, and wouldn't you know it? It looks THICKER!? I thought it was the lighting, but I took several pictures and they all turned out just like this. HUGE SHED during this time a week before, scared the f*****g sh*t out of me. November 25th, 2007.
1month3.jpg

3 Months on Min Foam, 5.5 months in finasteride, big shed in early december, my hair was feeling great and had volume again, I can't believe it. December 20th, 2007.

YES2-1.jpg

4 Months on Min Foam, 6.5 months on finasteride... What can I say? It looks and feels fantastic at this point, I went from a Norwood 2.5 to a 2 again, in 6 months..... THERE IS HOPE AFTERALL. January 20, 2008. Note - At the start of my treatment, my hair would fall out like crazy, little weak hairs everywhere, and even some thick ones. Now I can run my hands through my hair vigorously and I get MAYBE 1 or 2 hairs, it's like it completely reversed... I am in complete awe about how well it has helped my hair, I feel insanely confident, I was a recluse before this and now I find myself getting up and enjoying styling my hair again, it's such a liberating feeling... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give your treatments a try and start EARLY, for all those of you starting to go bald, even at 17 like I was, START NOW!!!!

35months.jpg

WOOOO.jpg

-------------

Early Post....

So far- finasteride has INCREASED my libido, no lies. I felt like I was going to go crazy the first three weeks I was on it. No ball ache, no nothing other then an increased libidio and a bit "watery" you know.... :whistle:

I also ordered 3 months (3 bottles) of Rogain Foam off Amazon.com which arrived october 10th. I have been on the foam using it only once per day @ night before I go to bed, and now almost four weeks in, I am getting a pretty big shed. It is a bit scary, I gotta admit, my hair is looking pretty damn thin up there, but it seems almost all the hairs I am shedding are weaker/lighter vellus hairs, with a few thick ones here and there. Is anyone else doing a once a day application with foam? It seems like it has initiated the dreaded shed just doing that, so I'm hoping in 3-5 months I will start to see volume returning and maybe get a bit of my hairline back and go for an amazing NW2 for a while and maybe if I hold until I'm 30, get a light transplant to fill in the gaps of my temple.

I'm not using nizoral, since I'm on the foam and despite the fact that I have suffered from psoryisis when I was younger, I am not getting any irritation what so ever from it, so I will take that as a good sign. I have Nutrogenea tar shampoo for my scalp, but rarely seem to have to use it.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: It Begins - SK's Story. + for Canadians I have a great tip!

I have been on it for 6 months now...and the increased libido is still there, I cant say I hate it lol

RaginDemon

Reaction score

hair thickened up a little, hair loss has not progressed at least.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score

ive been on finasteride 2 years and my libido is going nuts! lol no pun intended :)

RaginDemon

Reaction score

libertine said:
ive been on finasteride 2 years and my libido is going nuts! lol no pun intended :)

same...gf calls me an animal cuz I always wanna hump.

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Your gains made my day :woot: You are definately a great responder. How do you apply the foam and how much?

StrangeKarma

Established Member
Reaction score
lovemyhair said:
Your gains made my day :woot: You are definately a great responder. How do you apply the foam and how much?

I use half a cap full of foam once a day before I go to bed. I know it says to use it twice a day, however I was really afraid of causing a huge shed that everyone always complains about, so I just did once a day sorta out of fear. The big shed happened anyways, and I got regrowth just from the single application. It obviously lasts twice as long, so I am going to keep doing the once a day app. I apply the foam simply by using my index finger, scooping a bit out of the cap and rubbing it into my hair, mostly around the temple areas and middle vertex. It has worked wonders, and absolutely no irritation.

aussie

Reaction score
wow! :woot:

Awesome man!! :bravo:

RaginDemon

Reaction score
thats some krazy temple regrowth there!