Stress And Hair Loss. How Much Are They Related?

Psychokiller44

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to know, to what extent stress can cause hair loss.

I am 18 now, I've been suffering from major depressive disorders since I was 13, and its extremely severe.
Of course no one of my relatives knows that.

I heard high stress levels can make your hair fall out sooner than it should.
I have no bald spots yet. But I was worried about my hair.

Generally in the morning i do not find any hair on the pillow, but there are some days that I find about 5-10 hair, and that progressively decreases over the next few days. Is it normal to find that number on pillow or should I be worried?

Also, at 15 I've begun to suffer from dermatitis, not only on my scalp, but also on my arms and legs, along with other parts of my upper body.
Huge parts of my arms were literally red and crusty.

Do you think all this is caused by extremely high level of stress?

Anothet thing, here's the history of male pattern baldness of my family.

Father side:
My grandfather was bald. And my father started to lose his hair after age 40.
I do not know anything else.

Mother side:
My grandfather died at 43, but still with a head full of hair. Also all of my ants and uncles, who are aged between 49-60, they still got a head full of hair.

I heard about that there is a stronger chance you inherit the baldness gene from your mother side (although you can inherit from your father or both of them as well).
Your thoughts about this?

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
They aren't.

0 evidence that stress can make you lose hair.

It's just an old wive's tale.

I don't completely agree with this. You can have the kind of stress that causes extreme anxiety and depression. You can lose sleep, alter your heart rate, blood pressure, hormones, overall metabolism, etc... and you're saying this can't cause Telogen Effluvium? Think again.

Stress if severe enough can DEFINITELY, 100% cause telogen effluvium, just like any other physiological insult to the body. You have aggressive Androgenetic Alopecia and you get Telogen Effluvium? It's like a death sentence.

Señor AIDidaS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to know, to what extent stress can cause hair loss.

I am 18 now, I've been suffering from major depressive disorders since I was 13, and its extremely severe.
Of course no one of my relatives knows that.

I heard high stress levels can make your hair fall out sooner than it should.
I have no bald spots yet. But I was worried about my hair.

Generally in the morning i do not find any hair on the pillow, but there are some days that I find about 5-10 hair, and that progressively decreases over the next few days. Is it normal to find that number on pillow or should I be worried?

Also, at 15 I've begun to suffer from dermatitis, not only on my scalp, but also on my arms and legs, along with other parts of my upper body.
Huge parts of my arms were literally red and crusty.

Do you think all this is caused by extremely high level of stress?

Anothet thing, here's the history of male pattern baldness of my family.

Father side:
My grandfather was bald. And my father started to lose his hair after age 40.
I do not know anything else.

Mother side:
My grandfather died at 43, but still with a head full of hair. Also all of my ants and uncles, who are aged between 49-60, they still got a head full of hair.

I heard about that there is a stronger chance you inherit the baldness gene from your mother side (although you can inherit from your father or both of them as well).
Your thoughts about this?

Unless your hairline has moved or your hair has thinned, I'd say you are completely normal. These other guys are right though, we need pictures.

Runninghair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Lol ahhhh Telogen Effluvium. That is thrown around these chat rooms. Usually with the younger members in denial.

The only Telogen Effluvium ive seen ppl get is after a trauma to the head or body. I agree wth fred