Strip Scar and Redness

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Just some info for anyone considering a hair transplant.

I know there's a lot of debate over FUE and Strip and I don't want to make this a long drawn out post explaining either I just wanted to share my experience thus far.

As of now I'm 11 days post op. And from the looks of it, my strip scar is thinner than a pencil line and hairs are actually growing through the scar. It looks as though the scar will be completely covered by my hair even at a very short length, hopefully a 2 in the near future. For anyone worrying whether or not their scar will be detectible hopefully this is some help. I know that it was a major concern for me and for now I'm happy I went with Strip over FUE. Please note that this is just my experience and I can't speak for anyone else, but I think if you have the right Doctor doing the cutting you're in good hands.

Also as for the redness in the recipient area and when I had the staples out. I've found that Green Tea helps ease the redness in a very large way. Days when I didn't use it, I'd find that the redness was exactly the same as the day before and when I did use it I found that the redness was significantly reduced. So far at 11 days post op with the green tea applications my redness has almost completely faded and I am VERY light skinned and was worried that the redness would last a long long time. So far so good.

Hopefully this helps alleviate some concerns of others considering a hair transplant.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yes I never used anything on the scar and that was probably a mistake.

fallenfeather

Reaction score
Personguy - When you say you used green tea on the recipient area do you mean topically applied to the scalp or taken as a dietry suppliment?

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
I am at day 74 and the area where my hair isn't growing is very thin. However, my strip is still pretty pink/red. I have been using scar gel sicne almost the first week. Without the redness, my strip would not be very visible. However, with the redness it is. I have had hairs growing back through the scar.

Remember a lot of the healing depends upon each person. I have always seemed to scar easily/badly from cuts.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
fallenfeather said:
Personguy - When you say you used green tea on the recipient area do you mean topically applied to the scalp or taken as a dietry suppliment?

I applied it topically and drank it. I'm not sure which one helped but why not do both and see if it works?

As of right now my scar is pretty much skin color except for a pencil thin line that's a tiny bit darker than my skin. I'd never really had much luck with scars and redness in the past so I'm assuming it's from the green tea. Even if it's not, it couldn't hurt to try it.

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there any way you can post a pic of the areas you had work done and the scar? I am seriously considering a hair transplant and want to be well informed. I will be posting a new topic shortly with my status. Thanks.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
my camera's all fucked up tonight otherwise i'd take some good ones right now. I'll post some tomorrow for you. In the meantime I would like to let you all know that I ordered some toppik and applied it to the donor area to cover what's left of the scar and it's completely undetectable. It's fuking great I'll post a picture of the before and after with the toppik as well that way you guys can see. It's all finally coming together.

***Camera update as of 3/23 still messed up and bad. I hear something jiggling inside I suppose one of my roomates dropped it and didn't tell me.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually I'm going to be taking some soon. Very slow growth in the recipient and the hair around the scar still isn't 100% but I'll take them anyhow so you fellas can see. At this point I have some concerns that the hairline isn't going to look as good as planned. I know it's still early but some of the hairs there are VERY thick and they look almost fake. Hopefully as they mature in their new place in my head they'll become a little more normal. But again I'll have someone take some pics and I'll post them when I get a chance.

ginger-uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Excellent mate, i'll look forward to it. I guess you can always grow it longer if your a bit worried initially.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Hey PG, what Norwood were you at and how many grafts did you get if you don't mind my asking?

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd say I was a NW2 making a slow progression to a NW3. The hair transplant has restored some of my hairline and the finasteride will hopefully slow the rest of the process. Time will tell. And btw, I'll be posting pics at the 6 month mark. As of now, the results aren't that impressive still. The right side still has a way to go.

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
Day 77 of my last hair transplant, I'm still a little pink, and I put Iamin on every night for first 3 weeks, then polysporin probably 1-2 a week for a month. Just takes a little time for redness to go away. Its all good.