Strip scar with Dr. Feller

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay here's the deal w/me.

I have a hair transplant scheduled with Dr. Feller in March and I have some questions.

1. I usually buzz the back of my head down to a 2 and have the top trimmed w/sissors. Dr. Feller said the way he operates, the scar wouln't show unless I completely shaved my head down to the scalp. Is this possible?

2. If a 2 is no good, what's the shortest I can keep it and look normal? The bottom line is, I keep my hair this short so the recession isn't too noticeable, otherwise I'd grow it a little longer. Which is what I plan to do once the transplants grow in. My main concern is the immediate post-op period up to about 8 months where I have to keep my hair at its current length.

I am the type that really really wants to keep it a secret from all my friends and if possible my family too. I have about 20 days off work so far and can get more if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I know Falc had an hair transplant with Feller if I've been reading correctly and I hope to see a response from him in addition to anyone else who can help.
Thanks guys.

G

Hi,
Your physiology will dictate your scar essentially. Feller performs the same technique on every strip patient so it is ultimately down to your physiology. Many patients are very conscious of the strip scar pre op and ALL want to be able to buzz down short (even shorter than they ever did before) But when you actually have hair growing on top the scar becomes much less of a concern. You are only keeping your hair so tight at the back and side because there is no hair on top - this is VERY common. Growing your hair on the back and sides now will only amplify the fact you are losing your hair. Once you have hair on top you will not have to buzz it so short ;-)

I think lucky_uk posts here - he is a Feller patient and he only recently mentioned to me he couldn't even find his scar :)

Here is a video of "feller twins" on e had tricho one didn't - http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... SGDBTABLE=

All the best and trust me once your hair transplant grows in the scar becomes a real after thought..... if you can find it ;-)

cal

Established Member
Reaction score
Nothing against Feller's work, but I think a #2 buzz might be overly optimistic. It seems like a #3-4 is more commonly the lowest that strip patients want to do.

Safe-at-#2 cases happen, but I haven't seen a lot of them even from the best docs.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I agree theres no way I could go to grade 2 but I have bad characteristics for a scar however I have seen a patient from H&W who's scar was undetectable even at grade 1 :shock: . It all depends how it turns out each case is different.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah the main thing is the immediate to about 10 month period until it starts to come in good. After that I'm gonna be growing it out a little longer because I would then have the option to do so. A grade 2 is a bit optomistic I agree, but the only reason I go that low is to cover the recession. I'll keep it updated on here and hopefully I'll be upgraded to the success stories forum within a year.

I'm also using Propecia 1mg, Silica, Biotin, Histidine, a Multivitamin, and zinc. Shampoo= T-Gel. All about 1 month so far. Hopefully I'll never need the minoxidil b/c I'm getting a 2500 graft hair transplant for my hairline and temple recession. Historically it never goes past there too much for my family but you can't always count on that of course. I would have waited till I was sure the propecia stabilized it but at this point it's really really affecting me so yeah. I look forward to not having to get my hair cut every two weeks. Eventually I'll post some pics too.
Thanks again.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well you won't be able to go to a # 2 within 6 months after the surgery and probably more like a year. I have had 3 procedures done with Ivan Cohen to keep up with hair loss totalling 2K Fu's over 7 years. He used the Trico closure and I buzz down the back to a #2 no problem but I couldn't get to a # 2 without it showing until about 14 months post op.