Sucks to be 21 Year Old Baldy...

Cool_andbald

Reaction score
Hey,

I am a long time lurker but a new user to these boards.

Here is my situation, I am a 21 year old college kid who has a family history in male pattern baldness. My uncle from my maternal side is bold and some but not all of my paternal side are bald. It has been internally depressing for me to see myself gradually loosing my hair. It seems like the beginning of the end to me or however you may call it. Thankfully, its not effecting my everyday life as I try to play it down when I am in front of others and try not to make it drift my focus from my day-to-day work. However, I would be lying to myself if its not stressing me out or making me feel bad.

To get to what I want to say, I have been trying to avoid Propecia (Finasteride) and minoxidil for obvious reasons. I mean how can I feel safe taking a drug that was once used to treat enlarged prostate or reduce blood pressure? Not to mention that I have recently done a blood test to measure the level of testosterone in my body and came out to be total: 342 and free: 13. It is in the normal range but at the low end of the spectrum and its never good for a 21 year old. This is the main reason why I am avoiding Propecia and its side effects.

As far as Minoxidil goes, I mainly concerned with its real effectiveness in the long term. Will it save my hair from going all the way bald in the next 5-6 years? If not, then what is the use of putting on your head everyday, twice a day.

Currently, I am using two products; Viviscal Extra Strength (the original packaging with 600mg of Aminomar) and Jujuba oil. Ive been having some minimal success with the Jujuba oil and the shampoo that I use everyday. I am using Shea Moisture shampoo with she butter and coconut and Rosemary extract. I understand that Viviscal might be a scam, but atleast I am enjoying the placebo effect and giving me some lost hope. I am thinking of including Emu oil, saw palmetto extract, fish oil (mood stabilizer), and garlic pills (good against inflammation) in the coming future.

To wrap things up, I am here typing this long message asking for help/assistance/guidance from those of you who have been longer than me in the fight against male pattern baldness. I hope when you post your reply to be honest and conscience as I try to be.

Thank you and I hope to hear from you all.

PS: I forgot to mention that I am also taking doxyclcyine hyclate for acne control and was wondering if that drug has any side effect on hair loss.

chicknlittle

Reaction score

If you have male pattern baldness, your best bet currently is to take finasteride and minoxidil. Those are the only ingredients with long term large studies showing positive effect on hair. The risk of side effects with finasteride is well quantified and low. The effect of minoxidil on hair growth, while not perfect or perfectly sustained for everyone, forever, is real. If you are starting out eliminating the most accepted, proven treatments what are you left with? There are no other equally proven anti androgens or equally studied/proven growth stimulants. If you aren't choosing treatments based on their studied proven ability to affect hair growth your chances of success are low.... There might be a topical experimental black market anti-androgen that would help (flutamide, ru58841...) but only with less certainty and more risk (of unknown quality and effectiveness). Studies are better than anecdotes. Big studies are better than small ones. And advertised products without studies are snake-oil until proven otherwise.

Cool_andbald

Reaction score
Hey chickienlittle,

Thank you for your reply... Man I still remember that movie, it was great during great times :*(

Anyways,

I am afraid to be starting something that will lead to worse things than anticipated. Being 21 with no real problems other than hairloss and acne is better than sexual dysfunction or what have you. I really appreciate your great inputs and taking the time to respond to me. All be quite honest hairloss sucks big time, I feel like the whole world is looking at me differently now. It seems like I have been degraded a level or two in front of society. I really do want the help and the right start, otherwise I would not have bothered typing to strangers about my problems.

I was wondering what is your current regiment and how you are dealing with the situation.

Reaction score
Hey chickienlittle,

Thank you for your reply... Man I still remember that movie, it was great during great times :*(

Anyways,

I am afraid to be starting something that will lead to worse things than anticipated. Being 21 with no real problems other than hairloss and acne is better than sexual dysfunction or what have you. I really appreciate your great inputs and taking the time to respond to me. All be quite honest hairloss sucks big time, I feel like the whole world is looking at me differently now. It seems like I have been degraded a level or two in front of society. I really do want the help and the right start, otherwise I would not have bothered typing to strangers about my problems.

I was wondering what is your current regiment and how you are dealing with the situation.

I think it's reasonable to be a little hesitant. But for me, doing the research made it a no-brainer; had to get on finasteride ASAP.

chicknlittle

Reaction score
Hey chickienlittle,

I am afraid to be starting something that will lead to worse things than anticipated. Being 21 with no real problems other than hairloss and acne is better than sexual dysfunction or what have you.. I really do want the help and the right start, otherwise I would not have bothered typing to strangers about my problems.

I sympathize. For some people hair loss is an important issue (doesn't really seem to bother some... Im jealous of that : ) that is genetic, progressive, and hard to treat (meaning, not just any treatment will work). Only recently has any treatment really risen above "snake oil" level of proof and been shown to affect hairloss with large studies. Finasteride is one, with 10 year followup showing continued effectiveness for most people, with a 2-5% chance of side effects. Most with those had minor side effects and continued the med because they found it tollerable. http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/b...ategory-5-order-last_answer-descasc-DESC.html Rogaine is also proven to have an effect on hair weight for some. Their results can be additive, with finasteride addressing DHT (an androgenic hormone driving male pattern baldness) and minoxidil providing growth. PLease do research for yourself regarding benifit possibilities and risk, but realize that these boards are full of fearmongering whiners... The studies do show the true rate of adverse reactions (not huge; both meds are approved and have been around a while)... Google "propecia studies", "rogaine studies"... Consider talking to a dermatologist if you dont feel able to sift through the info yourself.

My story/history is here http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/63849-Chicknlittle-On-Dutas-escalating . I think I have essentially maintained on finasteride then dutasteride, for 14 years. Am now adding minoxidil due to some thinning/miniaturization and subtle hairline recession since starting treatment, with good recent results re: thickening/growth (which I attribute to adding minoxidil) but no change in hairline. Also adding an experimental topical antiandrogen that I really can't recommend due to lack of evidence (RU58841). And, I use vitamins biotin, vitamin D, B12.

I think the foundation of male pattern baldness treatment for long term success is anti-androgen therapy like finasteride... If I couldnt use finasteride I would probably use Saw Palmeto http://www.hairloss-research.org/UpdateSawpalmettopropecia8-07.html and look into other topical anti-androgens (consider spironolactone topical, RU58841, other?) but I wouldnt have the same confidence that I was doing all I could simply due to the lack of big studies behind these treatments... These other treatments are backed only by short, small studies on approx 40 balding rats, monkeys or people. minoxidil is good for notable quick (3-6 month) onset results for some, but doesnt really address the underlying process.

People vary in their type of male pattern baldness. Some are early onset, some have diffuse loss, some have more agressive loss. Some are just destined to NW2-3, some NW6-7. Depending on your type, available treatments may stop just significantly slow loss. Some rare people see significant regrowth if the loss was recent and they are "lucky". Some small percent (5%?) notice they are not maintaining on finasteride over the years. They might consider escalation beyond the big 3 (finasteride, minoxidil, nizoral) but most people don't need to do that. Remember that except for minoxidil (that may result in some regrowth/improvement in 3-6 months) the effect of ant- androgens may be slower, and may not even be notable after a year except for maintenence. With male pattern baldness that would be a success.

Please read/learn for yourself; See a dermatologist if needed; dont listen to hysterical fear mongers; expect evidence to back up claims. And be patient/ realistic. Success may be simply maintenence. Good luck : )

Cool_andbald

Reaction score
Hey Chickenlittle,

Thank you for the detailed reply. Unfortunately I have see many dermatologists and the all gave mixed reviews about Finasteride but they all recommended Rogaine simultaneously. I have decided to buy the Nizoral shampoo hopefully soon and try Rogaine for the recommanded 3-4 months and will see how it goes. For the Finasteride I might wait until I see what Rogaine can do.

Thank You and I appreciate all your help!