Sudden Huge Left Temple Thinning (19 yo)

MPBSUX

Reaction score
2-1.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Hi,

About two months ago I noticed this huge patch of thinning hair at my left temple. It really was as sudden as that! It came as a bit of a shock, not only because of how suddenly it seemed to appear, but because I'm only 19 and have no apparent family history of male pattern baldness. My dad is 55 and has a perfect hairline, his dad is pretty bald however but my maternal grandfather died with a perfect hairline.

I have cut my own hair for years (you can probably tell from the pics!) so initially thought it was just a bit that was badly cut. I have not cut my hair in about 2 months however but this left temple has not grown any longer. The hair is so thin at this area that under any sort of light it looks like I'm completely bald there (and it's a big area; about 2.5 square inches)

Long before this bald patch I noticed hair was generally coming out more in the shower but that appears to have stopped recently. I was wondering if all this is indicative of any other type of baldness other than male pattern baldness. I recently panicked and bought 3 months of minoxidil though I know that if I do have male pattern baldness I will need to treat it with something that combats the DHT.

Can anyone recommend a topical solution that is relatively cheap? I don't want to take propecia or any other tablets.

A few other potential environmental causes:
- I had pretty bad acne when I was about 16 and took Roaccutane for a few months. It wasn't a good experience that's why I'm reluctant to take any other tablets (it cleared up my acne however).
- I didn't wash my hair with shampoo for about 2 years until recently (I thought it made my hair better!)
- I have EXTREMELY sweaty hands and feet all the time. I think this is caused by an overactive sympathetic nervous system (I have never gone to the doctor about it). Could this be causing my hair loss?

I exercise regularly and have loads of fruit and vegetables so I seriously doubt my lifestyle has caused this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's really worrying as I'm sure you know.

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm also 19. i'd say get on inhouse fincar and forget about it for the rest of your life... your hairline's great and all signs point towards finasteride thickening up the thin spot you have, even without the minoxidil.

i think i've heard roaccutane can provoke / accelerate male pattern baldness. i'd say it's the beginning of male pattern baldness and you caught it just in time to do something about it. don't just hope it's stress related hairloss or something.