Suddenly thinning very fast whilst 11 years of finasteride and 12 years on min

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
So I (M33) have been on hair loss medications for over a decade. As the title says: almost 12 years ago I started 5% topical minoxidil (once a day) and almost 11 years ago I started 1mg finasteride (once a day). I never had serious sides and hair loss was a worry of the past.

I do remember that for the last 10 years I've had the feeling a few times that my hair was thinning again or shedding a lot, but it always seemed to be a false alarm. Or it was a regular shed as my hair continued to look thicker each year. My hair loss seemed 100% stable, as confirmed by my yearly dermatologist appointments. If I look at pictures (and my subjective feeling) I've never had thicker hair than 6 months or 1 year ago. Until now.

A few months ago I started to shed heavily: in the shower, during styling, etc. This shed is still going on. And as I've been losing so much hair, it's starting to become noticable: my hair is getting thinner, fast. I have had my blood tested a few days ago but no big deficiencies were noticable. My testoterone was higher than usual, but that's probably because of the finasteride. I have a derm appointment in a few weeks, but I'm at loss what I should do.

A) wait it out a few more months to see whether the shedding stops and my hair thickens again;

B) ask derm for dutasteride / oral min / whatever.

But here's the thing: how can one discern whether sudden thinning/shedding is "just a shed" or the hair loss is just progressing (aggressively)? Hair cycles are synced with min and finasteride, so maybe I'm just in the middle of the mother of all sheds?

If it is just a shed though, I'd feel stupid to hop on dutasteride already. I have yet to become a father. Also, it seems so bizarre that the hair loss happens so suddenly and so aggressively: if finasteride stopped working (or if my follicles became too sensitive), wouldn't that mean a slow decline? Why was my hair 'near perfect' a year ago and why is it now the thinnest it has ever been? I almost never see posts of people who have been on finasteride for as long as I have, I presume because they are maintaining and (just like I a few months ago) aren't worried anymore about their hair loss.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I (M33) have been on hair loss medications for over a decade. As the title says: almost 12 years ago I started 5% topical minoxidil (once a day) and almost 11 years ago I started 1mg finasteride (once a day). I never had serious sides and hair loss was a worry of the past.

I do remember that for the last 10 years I've had the feeling a few times that my hair was thinning again or shedding a lot, but it always seemed to be a false alarm. Or it was a regular shed as my hair continued to look thicker each year. My hair loss seemed 100% stable, as confirmed by my yearly dermatologist appointments. If I look at pictures (and my subjective feeling) I've never had thicker hair than 6 months or 1 year ago. Until now.

A few months ago I started to shed heavily: in the shower, during styling, etc. This shed is still going on. And as I've been losing so much hair, it's starting to become noticable: my hair is getting thinner, fast. I have had my blood tested a few days ago but no big deficiencies were noticable. My testoterone was higher than usual, but that's probably because of the finasteride. I have a derm appointment in a few weeks, but I'm at loss what I should do.

A) wait it out a few more months to see whether the shedding stops and my hair thickens again;

But here's the thing: how can one discern whether sudden thinning/shedding is "just a shed" or the hair loss is just progressing (aggressively)? Hair cycles are synced with min and finasteride, so maybe I'm just in the middle of the mother of all sheds?

If it is just a shed though, I'd feel stupid to hop on dutasteride already. I have yet to become a father. Also, it seems so bizarre that the hair loss happens so suddenly and so aggressively: if finasteride stopped working (or if my follicles became too sensitive), wouldn't that mean a slow decline? Why was my hair 'near perfect' a year ago and why is it now the thinnest it has ever been? I almost never see posts of people who have been on finasteride for as long as I have, I presume because they are maintaining and (just like I a few months ago) aren't worried anymore about their hair loss.
Its strange to shed like this all of a sudden after years on treatments. Probably should upgrade to oral minoxidil and maybe dutasteride. For me finasteride nor dutasteride did anything for my hair personally but every one is different good luck.

SadAndMad

My Regimen
Reaction score
It depends on how severe the shedding is and how often you’ve experienced it. 11 years is a good run, maybe your hair loss is picking up, and it’s time to consider dutasteride?

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I've been on the same treatments for a similar duration as you, and for me, my hair was at its thickest around 2-3 years in. Unfortunately, since then, I’ve gone through periodic heavy sheds, and my hair has become noticeably thinner and receded a bit. Each time, it bounces back to a new baseline, but it’s always slightly worse than before the shed.

The reality is that treatments can only slow down hair loss. For those with more aggressive forms, like myself, you’ll eventually notice your hair looking worse than when you first started. You’re lucky to have only noticed this now. My advice? Ride it out and accept that your hair won’t stay perfect or above your initial baseline forever.

Most likely, your hair will recover as before after this shed, but to a slightly worse baseline than before. From there, the hair loss will continue, albeit at a slower rate.

Personally, I don’t think it’s worth starting dutasteride, especially if you haven’t had kids yet. I’d lean more toward eventually considering a hair transplant when your hair loss reaches a point where it merits one / can afford one.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding is not a good sign IMO…
So even if it appears to grow back—-we got a problem Houston…
Simple answer is Minoxidil & Finasteride are delaying the inevitable because they do nothing to repair the damaged tissue where the follicle sit…

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on the same treatments for a similar duration as you, and for me, my hair was at its thickest around 2-3 years in. Unfortunately, since then, I’ve gone through periodic heavy sheds, and my hair has become noticeably thinner and receded a bit. Each time, it bounces back to a new baseline, but it’s always slightly worse than before the shed.

The reality is that treatments can only slow down hair loss. For those with more aggressive forms, like myself, you’ll eventually notice your hair looking worse than when you first started. You’re lucky to have only noticed this now. My advice? Ride it out and accept that your hair won’t stay perfect or above your initial baseline forever.

Most likely, your hair will recover as before after this shed, but to a slightly worse baseline than before. From there, the hair loss will continue, albeit at a slower rate.

Personally, I don’t think it’s worth starting dutasteride, especially if you haven’t had kids yet. I’d lean more toward eventually considering a hair transplant when your hair loss reaches a point where it merits one / can afford one.

I could understand that, except, my hair definitely didn't decline the last few years. Six months ago, max 1 year ago, it literally was the thickest it has ever been. I still checked it regularly and in the last few years it only got better. The cutoff I see now is very hard to explain..

Shedding is not a good sign IMO…
So even if it appears to grow back—-we got a problem Houston…
Simple answer is Minoxidil & Finasteride are delaying the inevitable because they do nothing to repair the damaged tissue where the follicle sit…

Except when it's just a temporary shed because of stress, hair cycles being synced up, etc.

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I could understand that, except, my hair definitely didn't decline the last few years. Six months ago, max 1 year ago, it literally was the thickest it has ever been. I still checked it regularly and in the last few years it only got better. The cutoff I see now is very hard to explain..

Except when it's just a temporary shed because of stress, hair cycles being synced up, etc.
Have you been tracking your hair loss with photos? If it truly is a stark difference when comparing photos say from 1/2years ago with your current hair situation then maybe you are right and finasteride is no longer sufficient to fend off the natural progression of your hair loss.

Maybe add Dutasteride into your routine 1x a week and monitor the sides?

Dashing_uk

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hi i put crushed up Certrizine in my minoxidil and that regulates my scalp to a degree i also take anti histamine tablets to stop the body attacking itself.Ive been on minoxidil and finasteride for over 30 years and my hair still hanging in there .Drink a good quality protein shake everyday as the hair is made of protein so thats a no brainer

Anusha

My Regimen
Reaction score

Same here after the treatment and minoxidil & PRP i have seen a small result i was so happy but suddenly hair thinning is started again i lost all the regrowth hair, and doctors said your in your mid 20's this treatment will not help you if you don't want to loss all your hair continue PRP and Minoxidil, i don't know what to do with my life