Suggested Revamped Vitamin Regimen - Please comment

dht4ever

Reaction score
Hi
Been reading a lot here and have decided to shake up my regimen to include more vitamins and herbs. Currently taking a multi-vitamin, L-arginine (500mg/day) and Saw Palmetto (500mg/day).
Comments appreciated if I should proceed with this or is any finetuning needed (e.g. eliminate non-effective ones to reduce costs)?

Additional Vitamins and Herbs Under Consideration
L-Arginine (500mg) 3x / week (reduced frequency as taking Soy Protein Powder reduces the need for this)
Biotin (1000mg) 3x / week (cheap so what the heck!)
MSM (1500mg) 3x / week (might help with growth)
Soy Protein Powder 1 serving daily (Increase Equol production)
Green Tea Extract Tablet 315mg 1x daily (will supplement with drinking green tea)
Grape Seed Extract 100mg 1x daily
Gingko Biloba 60mg 1x daily
Turmeric 400mg 3x / week (might block 5ar)

CCS

Reaction score
I have not heard of the ginko bilboba doing anything. All of the rest sound like they may help, but I don't know how much. The regimen is better than just taking vitamins. There is a small chance adding fish oil and borageseed oil to your diet or head may help, if japanese diet and not just genes are a factor. I'd also make a 3% solution with the GTE and put it on the head.

I would not feel safe with all this, but you can try it. I feel much safer with my meds in addition to this stuff.

docj077

Reaction score
So, dht4ever, it looks like you're taking dutasteride. and finasteride. plus all those herbs your listed. That's a lot man. Be careful, you might be kicking the crap out of your liver. However, the green tea and turmeric should take care of most liver damaging free radicals that you might produce.

Really, it might be overkill, but if you don't look like Fabio or have an afro within the next 6 months, then something is wrong :)

CCS

Reaction score
does dutasteride's longer half life mean it is harder on the liver? When I drink grapefruit juice to inhibit the p450 enzyme in the liver that metabolizes dutasteride, does that hit the liver harder? What do you think is harder on the liver, 0.5mg of dutasteride, or 5mg of finasteride? The finasteride is metabolised very fast, like in 25 hours practically.

docj077

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
does dutasteride's longer half life mean it is harder on the liver? When I drink grapefruit juice to inhibit the p450 enzyme in the liver that metabolizes dutasteride, does that hit the liver harder? What do you think is harder on the liver, 0.5mg of dutasteride, or 5mg of finasteride? The finasteride is metabolised very fast, like in 25 hours practically.

To be honest, my pharmacology is pretty week, because I haven't had it yet. I don't know the half-lives of either drug. If you have a normal liver, there shouldn't be a problem taking either. If you're a raging alcoholic, I'd reconsider even taking one of them.

I really don't know, but it's probably something we should investigate.

As for hitting the liver harder, that's a tough sell. I depends on a lot of things with one being how fast dutasteride. can get into the systemic circulation. I'm basing my conclusions on what I've read somewhere before. The liver is obviously there to metabolize, but I think the effects depend upon whether or not what it's metabolizing produces free radicals. If it does, then taking them both might mean trouble.

Again, something I should look into.

dht4ever

Reaction score
docj077 said:
So, dht4ever, it looks like you're taking dutasteride. and finasteride. plus all those herbs your listed. That's a lot man. Be careful, you might be kicking the crap out of your liver. However, the green tea and turmeric should take care of most liver damaging free radicals that you might produce.

Thanks Docj077 for the caution. I intend to lay off the finasteride after 2 weeks and use only dutasteride. Will rotating the frequency of the supplements help in avoiding overworking the liver? I have to say having overall health is still more important than hair :wink:

Thanks again

dht4ever

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I have not heard of the ginko bilboba doing anything. All of the rest sound like they may help, but I don't know how much. The regimen is better than just taking vitamins. There is a small chance adding fish oil and borageseed oil to your diet or head may help, if japanese diet and not just genes are a factor. I'd also make a 3% solution with the GTE and put it on the head.

I would not feel safe with all this, but you can try it. I feel much safer with my meds in addition to this stuff.

Thanks CCS. Am taking dutasteride as well and will start on Folligen soon.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would boost your GTE and GSE to 400mg and 200mg respectively. For the GTE you will need to ensure that your cachtein levels are in the 90 or so percent.

Reaction score
question Im thinking of doing the same and adding to the regime with most of those vitamins youve mentioned. Can i simply take somthing like advecia
which according to them has

Saw Palmetto Extract 4:1 (Serenoa repens) (fruit)
37.5 mg

Green Tea Extract (Camellia sinensis) (leaf)
600 mg

L-Arginine
1500 mg

Phytosterol Complex
Beta Sitosterol
125 mg
50 mg

L-Lysine
600 mg

Grape Seed Extract (Vitis vininfera) (seed)
Proanthocyanidins/Procyanidins
265 mg
250 mg

?
Thanks

docj077

Reaction score
qqwertyuiop2000 said:
question Im thinking of doing the same and adding to the regime with most of those vitamins youve mentioned. Can i simply take somthing like advecia
which according to them has

Saw Palmetto Extract 4:1 (Serenoa repens) (fruit)
37.5 mg

Green Tea Extract (Camellia sinensis) (leaf)
600 mg

L-Arginine
1500 mg

Phytosterol Complex
Beta Sitosterol
125 mg
50 mg

L-Lysine
600 mg

Grape Seed Extract (Vitis vininfera) (seed)
Proanthocyanidins/Procyanidins
265 mg
250 mg

?
Thanks

I would not trust any forumulation that gives so many herbs like that. It's very likely that you will not be getting enough of the positive components of each herb. I personally wouldn't trust it.

Reaction score
Hey sublime, I have two questions firstly why take nettle does it increse potency of saw palmetto?

Secondly i see you use alot of supplements, are you using all of them for male pattern baldness or for other reasons?

Would love to hear your opinion on whats worth taking and not.