Sunhead's Story

Sunhead

Reaction score
Greetings, HairLossTalk.com Support Forum Colleagues!

My user name is Sunhead and I have hairloss.

"Hello, Sunhead!" (a chorus of people online)

"Hello Comrades. I, er, will tell you my story now....

My hairloss journey, like so many other frustrated and concerned follicularly challenged people - began when I was 18. My buddy, friend, racketball partner began making comments like, "Hey, what team do you play for, the New York Hairlines?!"

And then one of my students (yes I am a teacher) said to me, "Hey Mr. Sunhead (not really what he said, but you get the picture), you've got a bald spot!" I started to say, "No I don't, Corey!" but then thought I'd better check it out when I got home from school. Sure enough, with the double mirror thing of holding one while viewing in another thing....there it was. Mocking me, chastising me. Making me forget that WHO I am isn't all about hair, which of course it isn't - for any of us.

However, I realized that I was going to become one of those people who DOES something about it. I did not want this to progress rampantly. The problem was...back when I noticed this, there was not yet minoxidil. So I turned to some scams like "New Generation" and special shampoos like "Energizer" in hopes of restoring my red mane (yes I have red hair....got called "Red" by my PE Teacher)

Of course the most these did was fluff up existing hair (Energizer) or matt it all down (New Generation) and the follicles were no more charged up than the Twins when they played New York this year (Yes, I am also a Twins fan - Go Mauer!)

So...as time went by, and minoxidil was discovered/invented, and along came finasteride, and Dr. Lee and Dr. Proctor and forums like this - I began to communicate with people like JWM and Mike S on another forum - and realized that golden nugget we all need.....I'm not alone in this fight!

So, I come to this HairLossTalk.com Forum after being a member of another forum since 2002 in hopes of sharing ideas, solutions, problems, and empathy with fellow losers (and gainers!)

My regimen is currently:
finasteride
Min
nizoral

The "Big Three" Cahunas. I won't lie. I've been around the block. Yet, without sounding vain here, I will admit that many people I know think I'm a full 15 years younger than I am. If they were to look closely at my hairline (nicely parted to conceal), they would know better. I've been using minoxidil 5% since it came out, and finasteride (proscar quartered) since about 2000.

My story is that I've mostly maintained, but am still losing on the frontal area. And yes....that bald spot discovered by my student years ago....has sadly increased in size.

I am not one of those people who thinks that hair is more important than people we love or health. Of course not. But if I can grow it back, or most of it, I'd feel like a little kid again.

My latest venture is 15% Minoxidil, ordered just moments ago. I'm going to give the old 15% a shot.

All my best to you! Hope to get to know a few of you!

Greetings, JWM, Mike S, Bryan, et al from you know where!

Sunhead :)

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the interesting post :) Just a few questions from me.
Do you have before and after photos of your progress? Also did you experience any side effects due to using finasteride? Finally, i'm a bit worried that while you've managed to maintain some of your hair, you said that you're still losing? Judging from what i've read on this forum (and this has been the only hair loss related forum i've visited) the big 3 is supposed to greatly help in regaining and maintaing hair?

Sunhead

Reaction score
Hey Draco88!

Sadly I do not have before/after pics. I'm sorry for that. With digital cameras so handy now, I am planning on taking pics for the addition of 15% Minoxidil and chart my progress on the frontal areas.

I can say with joy that I have had zero side effects from finasteride. No loss in libido, no puffy chest, nothing. I fully believe that finasteride has slowed my hairloss. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't had to deal with sides.

Your comment on the Big 3 is true. It does help in regaining and maintaining hair. Yet I've read from many posters on this forum and another that loss still occurs for many. To be honest, I consider my regimen to be a "holding" pattern that will at least slow loss down (if not regrow hair) until a cure or much stronger product comes along.

My hairloss has been slow enough that when I look at pictures from say, 5 years ago, it looks quite the same. 10 years ago, I notice a bit of a difference. Most of my friends and family don't even comment about the loss that I notice.

All my best!

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
^^Thanks for the reply. Your time frame comparisons give me some hope in beginning my treatment on my hair. Since i'm 21, i'd like to maintain (and hopefully gain more hair) what i have now, until my 30's, when i assume i won't care as much and just slowly stop any type of treatment. Hopefully by then something more concrete will be developed in treating hair loss!