Sustained Release t/3

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
So... today i was picking up more propecia that i am trying a very low dose with due to sides last time i tried (.25 EOD this time). The pharmacist told me about finasteride 5mg and cutting into pieces and I told her I was aware. She also told me that I should contact a doctor nearby that prescribes sustained release t/3 for hair loss as well. I am assuming she knows my hair loss is from male pattern baldness bc of the prescription i was getting filled. Do you think this doctor she told me about is making a topical form of it or is writing prescriptions for oral.

I have looked around online and there is not much about it being used for male pattern baldness but thyroid problems hair loss.

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
It is known that thyroid hormones are involved in hair growth.
These two articles are kinda interesting..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20656376

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18728176

However; this doctor better know what he is doing.
Androgen modulation with finasteride is tried and tested, and well tolerated.

Thyroid levels you do not want to mess with.

These articles are informative in understanding why hypothyroid patients lose their hair. But: if your thyroid levels are normal, I would assume that thyroid function has nothing to do with it, and that the problem lies with the good ol' androgens...

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
i saw those. what i am wondering is if it was a topical would it actually affect your thyroid?

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
That would depend if it was absorbed systemically.

But some sort of topical T3 to stimulate cell proliferation... yeah, sounds interesting...

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
So it does exist. I have the doctors information. What sucks is he is not on my insurance's preferred doctor list. $245 for first visit. Then I need lab work which he can have my doctor do then send over the information so my insurance will pay it. Second visit is $180 or so then next visit is $145. Supposedly it would be resolved in three or less visits.

It is supposedly a topical form. I want to try it badly, but I am a poor college student. Its even 20 minutes from where I live.