Switched from Propecia to Proscar - Major Shed

aquamarc

Reaction score
Hi everyone - long time lurker and first time poster.

I started taking brand-name Propecia in early 2005 (at age 22) and then switched to quartered brand-name Proscar (1.25mg) in November of 2007. During my 2.5 years on Propecia I completely maintained - no hair loss, no sheds, nothing. I had actually almost stopped worrying about hair loss. Approximately 3 weeks after making the switch to Proscar last November I started shedding significantly, much more than I ever had on Propecia. After this shedding continued for about a month I switched back to Propecia for piece of mind, but that was over a month ago and the shedding has continued. My hair has definitely thinned during this period of time (I took hairline pictures just before I switched to Proscar and I am definitely thinner now with more recession).

Do you guys think switching to Proscar caused this shed? I don't know why it would because Propecia is 1mg finasteride and Proscar cut into fourths is 1.25mg finasteride. Anyway, I'm really just hoping that switching back to Propecia will cause this shedding to stop sometime soon. Any thoughts?

I've read other posts with guys talking about going through a synchronized shed approximately 2 years after starting Propecia. Do you think that might be what this is? Did any of you have a "synchronized shed"?

Sorry for all the questions. Just been very nervous recently. Looking forward to some responses on this great board. Thanks.

ezgoer101

Reaction score
If Propecia was working for you why did you change? Every hear if it aint broke dont fix it? I usually don't comment alot but I read alot. Shedding seems to be a normal process with most meds. I would just give it time and see how it works out,

ps1freak

Established Member
Reaction score
where idd you get your proscar from? i was on propecia for a year then tried to make a switch to united pharmacies - i started shedding more hair after two weeks on proscar and my scalp got REALLY itchy like it did right when male pattern baldness first hit me hard. that scared meenough to go right back to propecia again and i threw the proscar pills out.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
I thought about swtiching from Proscar to Propecia becuase im sick of cutting the f-uckers!

But even tho its the same medication, slight changes even in dosage can cause, "this shed" so i decided not too.

aquamarc

Reaction score
I got my Proscar from the local pharmacy, and even bought the name brand stuff. It's now been a couple of months since I switched back to Propecia and I think that I'm starting to shed less. I have definitely lost ground in the temples though. Hopefully the shed was just induced from the change in the amount of finasteride and it will grow back.