switching

hhd

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I was on propecia for about 5 years and it worked GREAT on my head but there was a signifcant decrease in libido. about 3 months ago I learned of Rogaine foam and switch from Propecia to the foam. Initally there was some loss but now my hair is looking almost as good as it did with propecia. My problem is this, Im wondering if the hair loss from propecia has yet to begun and I am simply maintaing what I gained over the course of five years.

Has anyone else switch from propecia to rogaine foam? when did they see results and what where they ??

thanks.

chowmein

Reaction score
You switched ? :-x

hhd, propecia and rogaine foam do two completely different jobs :-

* Propecia - attempts to halt hair loss, maintains hair and if you're a good responder can grow back some recently lost hair.

* Rogaine foam - attempts to stimulate dormant hair follicles and regrow. However, if rogaine foam is just used by itself - your hair follicles will still suffer from DHT which causes Male Pattern Baldness (which Propecia takes care of).

...think about it. You're attempting to regrow without protecting yourself from further loss.

hhd

Reaction score
explain to me how they can markey rogaine foam under the "use it or loose it" banner. It was my understanding that Propecia grew hair (and is the better choice) while rogaine simply maintained it.

chowmein

Reaction score
hhd said:
explain to me how they can markey rogaine foam under the "use it or loose it" banner

uhm.. well why not! - there is some semi-truth in that slogan after all - look into how minoxidil actually works to try to recover and sustain hair growth. On the downside however, minoxidil doesn't have a handle on DHT and scalp testosterone levels which is the root and cause of male pattern baldness.

Don't put all your faith in minoxidil being your sole saviour from male pattern baldness - it's a treatment that attacks hair loss from one angle only and should be used in conjunction with an oral such as finasteride/dutasteride - that looks at protecting the rest of your hair from eventually HAVING TO apply minoxidil to it if you were to just carry on 'only' using the Rogaine foam.