Taking the jump - A finasteride side-effect diary

applejuice145

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have just registered on the forums here, having read around many of the threads here over the last few weeks. Here is my story and what I can do to contribute to the knowledge and experience available on the site.

The Story So Far...
--------------------------

One chilly March evening in Whitechapel (London, UK) your 21 year old narrator went to the cheapest (albeit respectable looking) barberhe could find within a 10 minute walk of his flat. Having selected a suitable establishment, I went for the usual - 3 on the back and sides, tiny bit off the top - and took a seat. My brown, curly locks have always been a source of pride and identity for me (just this Saturday, a stranger in a pub commented just how much she liked them) so imagine my shock when my hairdresser turned to me and told me not to worry but "your hair is starting to look quite thin on the crown". Additionally, that week I noticed that whenever I washed my hair, a fairly large amount of hair was shedding from my crown that I'd ignored before. After much wringing of hands and taking of photos and surfing of the internet I decided that I needed to do something...

The Plan
------------

I've tried rocking the buzz-cut look before and let's just say, it really doesn't suit me. Given this and the fact that like many 21 year olds, my life's progress is charted by the number of foreign beds I can visit (not very many unfortunately) I feel that keeping my hair is an important priority for me. Luckily my thinning is so far restricted to my crown and only noticable on close inspection or when my hair's wet, so I think I have some options. I am put off by the inconvenience of topicals and having read as much research as I can on Finasteride-based treatments, I am going to give them a go. I intend to start on 0.5mg daily and I will do my best to provide an informative account of the side effects for anyone who might be interested.

What I'll be posting
------------------------

I do not intend to provide continual photographic evidence of any effects that finasteride may have on my hair. If I notice a startling difference, I'll try and get some photos up but the main purpose of this thread is to provide regular information about any side-effects that I encounter as I know that this is a key area of interest for many people. I went through a 6 month period of depression when I was 15 and found that keeping a diary of my perceived symptoms was a fairly good way of keeping track of my mood and physical feelings so I will try and do the same here. I will update if I decide to stop treatment or change my regime.

The details - TMI WARNING!
----------------------------------

Whilst the gods of genealogy may not have smiled on the day that they gave me my hair, I have been blessed with a very active sex drive and a well-proven ability to, er, perform on demand. I have (excluding high days and holidays) "cracked one out" twice a day for as long as I can remember so I'm hoping that this will serve as a good benchmark by which I can measure any sexual side-effects. I have unfortunately broken up with a long term girlfriend with whom I enjoyed the luxury of regular sex but I will report back whenever I can about any change I notice in the bedroom.

-----------------

I intend to sort out a prescription this week so I will post back when I get hold of some finasteride. If anyone has any advice for me I would be very grateful for it, especially with regards to sourcing cheap finasteride in the UK as I don't have a lot of money!

Best,

K

P.S. I couldn't really work out if this is allowed by forum rules but I thought I'd stick my BTC public address up just in case anyone's feeling generous - 15oKsGhpY7amt2wnmQYFZ6o4JPF2sN8dvV :)

aj218

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Now that's how you write a story. Bro it's good that it's just your crown, that's so much easier to treat. Jelly of your sex life though, I'm gonna be 21 this year but still a virgin, though that may be due to my obliviousness around women. I never realise when they're flirting til afterwards when I tell my mates.

In terms of getting finasteride cheap in the UK, your best bet is to look at online pharmacies. The cheapest option is getting generic finasteride like fincar or getting yourself proscar and splitting it into 4s. It might be harder getting a prescription from a GP in the UK as they're not so open about prescribing something for hairloss. They'll just say buy some Regaine. Though you may find some nice dudes.

Personally I get my finasteride from Boots, works out £30 for me but I am planning on getting some cheap finasteride myself as I won't have much left til the end of my degree this year.

Also, you may want to get some nizoral. You can get it from Boots and superdrug (I think), that's if you don't wanna buy it online.