Thanatos's story

Thanatos

Reaction score
After looking through the advice and information given on this forum and seeing my hair loss wasn't getting any better, I decided to give finasteride a try. I got a prescription for proscar and bought 14 pills for now just to see how my body would react to the substance and what to expect from it.

I started with a lower dose three days ago, but I need some help with mixing up the stuff in an alcohol solution. My approach is to fill a 4ml glass vial with 25%vol. vodka, dissolve one quarter of a pill (roughly 1.25mg) in it, stir it up well and then use an insulin syringe to extract 1ml of the solution, which I take daily. I figured that if finasteride was equally dispersed in the alcohol solution, each 1ml of the mixture would contain 0,3mg of finasteride, right? However, I'm not so sure about this considering I don't know how soluble finasteride really is (there are still some small particles left floating around in the solution). I would really appreciate some advice on this from experienced finasteride users, as I am planning to up my dose to 0,5 mg in the coming weeks and I'd like to get as close to this margin as possible. And one more thing - do you think body weight should be taken in consideration when deciding the dosage for finasteride? I'm only 64 kg at a 180 cm height, so I'm thinking I should probably stick with a slightly lower dose, at least in the beginning. What are your thoughts on this?

In addition to finasteride, I also use Nizoral shampoo 2-3 times a week and I'm planning to introduce minoxidil into the regimen in about 2 months. Since I also have some persistent acne, last month I decided to make some radical changes in my diet and at this point I not only feel a lot better, more energized and clear headed, but I have also seen great improvement in the overall quality and texture of my skin and hair, as well as less inflammation, itching, and a significant reduction in sebum.

I basically stick to my own adaptation of a paleo diet and get as much omega 3 fatty acids as possible (from flaxseed and fish oil, I'm also planning to toss in raw flax seeds into the diet at some point in the future). I also made a huge step and finally quit smoking for good. I was a heavy smoker and as I look back at it now, besides all the other health issues, smoking had an overall inflammatory effect on my body and definitely caused my skin to produce more oil, so I'm very glad I quit. Well, I guess this pretty much sums it up for now. I'm waiting for your advice and comments and I've also included the link to some photos I took recently. Please let me know what you think of it!

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/profiles/Thanatos/albums/299/1032

Thanatos

Reaction score
1 week update on 0,3 mg dose daily

- Watery and (slightly) decreased ejaculate

- Nasty breakout on face

- No problems with erections and libido

I have a few more questions:

Has anyone experienced an initial breakout from finasteride? Has your acne worsened since starting the treatment? I'm not talking about the occasional pimple, I'm talking about serious breakouts.

Is watery, decreased ejaculate a side effect that goes away gradually on the treatment or is it generally persistent?

Should I be taking finasteride consistently throughout the week or should I stop for a day or two sometime during the week? What is the rationale for off days and what weekly treatment plan you think would be fine?

I really need some advice, so please help. Thank you

Thanatos

Reaction score
I abandoned my experiments with finasteride for now, but I'm planning to give it another shot in a few weeks to see if I can correlate it with my worsened acne.

The way I see it, the trigger for my bad breakout might have been a spike in blood testosterone, do you think that might be the case? I really hope it won't hit my skin as hard on my next attempt, and/ or that this f****d up reaction will fade the longer I go into the treatment. The thing is I also got a nasty itch and some tiny bumps on the scalp, which I haven't had in a really long time. Oh, the back is also flared up like hell.

Thanks for your time, I'm waiting for some feedback.