The 180º surgery.

ideo08

Reaction score
Hi. In the 'follica good news' tread p73
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=43438&p=482090#p482090
I mentioned a 180º turn of a big piece of scalp.
Later I Found out about the "scalp reduction" that is not used for the frontal part, and the "scalp flaps" that are prone to be more irregular than the more symmetrical proposed 'turn piece 180º'. Found also about non scarring: "Surgeons weld wounds shut with surgical laser" (uses also a 'biological glue')
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite? ... 2FShowFull

Anyway wouldn't be minor surgery because of possible blood supply rearranging.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure many reputable clinics don't carry out scalp reductions any more.

CCS

Reaction score
ideo08 said:
Hi. In the 'follica good news' tread p73
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=43438&p=482090#p482090
I mentioned a 180º turn of a big piece of scalp.
Later I Found out about the "scalp reduction" that is not used for the frontal part, and the "scalp flaps" that are prone to be more irregular than the more symmetrical proposed 'turn piece 180º'. Found also about non scarring: "Surgeons weld wounds shut with surgical laser" (uses also a 'biological glue')
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite? ... 2FShowFull

Anyway wouldn't be minor surgery because of possible blood supply rearranging.

These both are the most barbaric procedures of history. Scary that balding men today still see them as an option. I think the men who consider this stuff are guys with a lot of credit card debt, no money or available credit, who are scared away by $5000-$20000 good hair transplant costs, and are so desperate about their hair loss that they will jump at a $2000-$3000 scalp flap procedure, or old fashioned plugs or mini grafts. You will look like a freak and then really really have to hide your head all the time. Don't do it. The hair transplant industry is not regulated. Anyone can open up shop and butcher you. Sites like this can only advise you who to go to. Please take our advice.

ideo08

Reaction score
The mentioned -obsolete- surgeries are just to show that there's experience in moving/cutting the scalp.

Also, the attaching of big pieces of skin is done regularly in cases of burns, etc.

The proposed 180º would have advantages over the current hair transplants: it will be faster, immediate results, MORE DENSITY of hairs. A problem could be the scar, but as seen with the laser, there are methods for minimizing it. The back of the head would be hairless but is easier to comb the hair back, use a ponytail... and MAYBE hair will grow again there if as I suspect the sides and back areas hairs are better because of those are the areas that we sleep on. If not, future treatments may regrow hair there, while enjoying good hair in the frontal area.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I believe he's talking about the Fleming-meyer flap surgery popular about 30 yrs ago totally obselete and highly dangerous. With a weird looking hairline as a result. And if you think post op hair transplant is a bad situation then what about the pre op flap situation, a balloon inserted inside your scalp and slowly inflated over the course of about 4wks!!!!! :crazy: :freaked: :freaked2:

ideo08

Reaction score
no balloons. in the attached drawing is what i mean.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 236

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yeah that looks great!! :freaked: :shock: :freaked2:

ideo08

Reaction score
The picture is a worst case. The important thing (for some, maybe not for you) is to have a good frontal line, and I rather do ONE 180º surgery than your "I've been through alot with my 5 hair transplant's (3 bad and 2 good) and I'm still not entirely satisfied" (in the tread "what are the good reasons not to get an hair transplant" or 'scar5': "i have had 12 surgeries - 9 strips , 3 fues", same tread.)

In the Hair Transplant surgeries some of the grafts don't grow out, and the ones that do seemingly are weak. The results don't look good for me. With the 180º one would know exactly the kind and density of hairs that one will get. They will be no DHT sensitive, strong, no need to take drugs.
Depending on the person, a portion of the back will be bald, but a lot of people anyway use the hair short in there and even shave it.

If done correctly, the scar will be minimal. I prefer a scar to hair transplant looks. I would use long hair with a ponytail to cover most of it and the bald back.
In the future there would be Follica or whatever to regrow it. In the meantime one will have strong hair in the front, rather that in the back.

This may not appeal to everybody, as anything.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Poor density ontop = Acceptable but not really good looking hair.
thick ontop but with a bald back = freak.

CCS

Reaction score
ideo08 said:
A problem could be the scar, but as seen with the laser, there are methods for minimizing it.
Lasers do not reduce scars. Anyone who says that is lying. All they can do is even out color. But scars are obvious even if they color match.
How about this for a problem: What if the curvature and shape of the donor piece does not exactly match the curvature and shape of where it is going?
What if not enough blood gets in since the blood vessels were cut on all sides, and the center of the piece dies?

ideo08 said:
...and MAYBE hair will grow again there if as I suspect the sides and back areas hairs are better because of those are the areas that we sleep on. If not, future treatments may regrow hair there, while enjoying good hair in the frontal area.
Scalp location would not cause have a chance of causing hair to grow there. Your chances of regrowth are at most as good as when on top. But you could get shock loss too.

This procedure is highly barbaric, and used only by butchers who don't have the skill or patients to do micro grafts, and want to do a lower priced procedure that expands the number of people they can rip off.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
ideo08 said:
If done correctly, the scar will be minimal. I prefer a scar to hair transplant looks. I would use long hair with a ponytail to cover most of it and the bald back. This may not appeal to everybody, as anything.

Dude are you out of your f*****g mind? This is perhaps the stupidest idea I've ever heard. First of all think of the scarring at the hairline where it would have to be attached, not to mention the overall scarring all around the procedure. I can't imagine anyone ever benefiting from this surgery.

Here's the bottom line, people will notice. They will talk about you behind your back, because you're the guy with the scarring on the back of your neck and hairline. The guy with NO hair growing on the back of your head. Your solution is to hide it with a ponytail?!?!? :shakehead: Good luck my friend...you're not thinking.

badmaxx

Reaction score
Honestly, I had to look up and check the date... I thought it might have been an old thread, say from the 1950's... nope, 2009! AMAZING, people are still being hoodwinked into crap like this. Licensed butchers that would carry out such a procedure should be jailed and: :bigun2:

ideo08

Reaction score
Lasers do not reduce scars. Anyone who says that is lying.

Check the first link. It's a NEW procedure that involves a biological glue, it's for NOT using sutures.

What if the curvature and shape of the donor piece does not exactly match the curvature and shape of where it is going?

The surgeon has to cut it symmetrical.

What if not enough blood gets in since the blood vessels were cut on all sides, and the center of the piece dies?

Good point. A doctor with experience in burn people could answer. I don't know.

Poor density ontop = Acceptable but not really good looking hair.
thick ontop but with a bald back = freak.

Poor density on top = UNacceptable (for me)
thick on top but with a bald back = freak (for some).
Wish there were now hair cloning or something better than multiple unsatisfactory hair transplants.

people will notice. They will talk about you behind your back, because you're the guy with the scarring on the back of your neck and hairline. The guy with NO hair growing on the back of your head. Your solution is to hide it with a ponytail?!?!?

I know it'll not look 'natural', this would appeal for example to people that don't care to have, or do tattoos (even on the head), body modifications, etc images/smilies/punk.gif . but that don't like a receding front hairline FOR THEIR OWN PERSONAL AESTHETICAL REASONS, not because they want to look 'normal' and pretend that baldness never occurred to them.

In general people that do Hair Transplant is obsessed with others not finding about their baldness or the surgeries, which I totally understand.

This 180º topic is not about particularly liking it but about preferring it to -multiple, not good for me- hair transplants. In fact if hair pieces where permanent (not 'maintenance', not risk of detaching), I'll choose that 'solution'. Maybe someone will come with a super-super glue for that.
+++++++++++++Hopefully Follica or gene therapy comes soon+++++++++++++++.

CCS

Reaction score
Even if the outside is symetrical, the inside will have bubbles because your scull has different curvatures or bumps in different places. That is why stock hair pieces won't just fit anyone. I don't get how so many people buy stock hair pieces like they are an option, except they must have lower standards and not care about bubbles in the middle.

ideo08

Reaction score
Even if the outside is symetrical, the inside will have bubbles because your scull has different curvatures or bumps in different places. That is why stock hair pieces won't just fit anyone. I don't get how so many people buy stock hair pieces like they are an option, except they must have lower standards and not care about bubbles in the middle.

I think skin is more flexible than what is used for hair pieces, and it's supposed to completely bond, as opposed to the non permanent glue that's used with wigs (they should have certain elasticity to avoid the problem you mention)...

CCS

Reaction score
It just seems risky. What if it does not get enough blood and dies a day later?

One think I do agree about is some guys simply don't have the ability to get a normal hair transplant and have decent density.

And as for the look, I'm just not convinced it would be an improvement. It is much easier to attach a hair piece to the top front of your head than to the flexible nape.

However, you could get a marine corps hair cut (high and tight) and then people will just assume you shaved the sides really good. Basically, move the entire horse shoe to the top of your head and leave the sides and back bar. Then FUE just enough hair down into the temple area and such to look like some stubble in the right shape.

If you can deal with the scars and the huge risks of dead scalp, and cut it exactly right, there is potential to get a nice hair look from a NW6.

Maybe even a NW7 could FUE 100% of his hair to the top of his head to get the jar head hair cut. That would be safer, but cost a lot more and leave little dot scars.

CCS

Reaction score
If the scars were thin enough, I don't think they would hurt your appearance much. Just got to make sure the scalp fits perfect and does not die. I would not do the 180. I'd save the head, and have a very careful Doctor do a puzzle piece drawing on the donor area and top of the head, faintly tatooed if needed, and then cut and move one 2 inch by approximately 3 inch piece, one at a time, 6 months or so apart. No stretching. Just keep the sides shaved so it looks like a high and tight. Maybe even keep the top shaved too until it is all moved. People would see puzzle piece stubble under the skin, but nothing too freaky. Once they are all on top, lightly tatoo the scar lines to match the color of the skin, erroring on the side of too light. Then grow the top to 1 inch or so and fade the edges. Tell people you shave super close. The do a little FUE or BHT to get some stubble in the temple area or so.

I am not recommending this. Just saying it would look way better than the 180. But I don't know if all the peices would fit like that. Might have to FUE some of them to fill in some gaps. At least no stretching would be needed. I would just hope the scalp did not die.

CCS

Reaction score
I wonder how long it would be before people asked you to grow out your sides a bit because you look just too para military.

ideo08

Reaction score
There's need for many doctors opinion on the chances of the piece dying.
People with bad burns get transplants of big pieces of skin but I don't know if those pieces die and get replaced with new skin or if they remain (the dermis, the epidermis anyway is periodically shed).