The beginning of adulthood, and a hair loss journeyHi

huck77

Reaction score
The beginning of adulthood/hair loss

Hi all,

So I've finally given in. I've been voraciously lurking around Hair Loss forums for the past year or so, debating whether to join or not, or if joining would somehow catalyst a further descent into hair loss by acknowledging it's real.

Nonetheless, I resolved that I wouldn't worry about hair loss till I tuned 18 and had a job, mainly because I didn't want to bother my parents about it. They're compeletely supportive and do so much for me, but I can't bare to worry them more about another issue I have (coupled with asthma, allergies (specifically to gluten), genetically high blood pressure, etc. I'm not the most genetically lucky.

Now, having tuned 18 just 4 days ago, and with a new job, I've taken the nose dive into symbolically both my adulthood and with that, hair loss.

Now with my intro out of the way, I chose this forum over *********Talk mainly because they seem a bit more depressing, plus "bald" in the title sounds more tragic.

Here's my journey: (I'll post pictures in the next post to keep this shorter)
1. I first noticed I was receding at the tail end of 16, I didn't really take much notice because I was positive no one goes bald until 40.

2. Around 17, it started to bug me. I began researching male pattern baldness and receding hairlines, eventually I came across the whole mature hairline deal, and that gave me peace for awhile.

3. I probably would still be content with the "mature hairline" explanation if it weren't for the miniaturization beyond my hairline. Basically, it's not good. I'm blond, so terminal hairs turning to vellus hairs looks awful, and I noticed this when I got a short haircut.

4. I'll admit I'm a pretty vain person, I don't think a receding hairline looks bad, in fact it looks fairly cool to a degree. I'm 80% confident that my hairline will continue receding, and by the looks of it, I HAVE to start something now, doctor's advice or not.

WHY I'm balding:
To not bore you with more writing (I'm an aspiring writer to some extent, pardon the long post) I've concluded that because my dad has amazing hair at 50, and my grandpa only had one bald spot and little recession at 68 when he died, my hair loss is DEFINITELY from my mom's ****ty side.
I love her but she gave me **** genetics, and because I rarely ever see my maternal grandpa I forgot he was bald. When I realized that HE might have passed down male pattern baldness, I was a tad upset.
My mom has very thin hair that she passed down to me, so I imagine if she were male she would be bald, unfortunately I get the results.
TL:DR: It's male pattern baldness and not a bad diet, I'm healthy and fit.

(my pictures in next post)

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my hair loss journey from an original picture I took at 16, to now.

I've always had an incredible large forehead, and my hairline has always been high from birth.

Here we go:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm on mobile if that's why those image don't work.
The last two of my side profile were taken right now.

I think I'm a Norwood 1.5, considering I was basically born a Norwood 1 that's not horrible. But I know I'm a candidate to go bald early. What I don't know if it's agressively.

My final section is regarding treatment. I've ordered Rogaine but I don't know if I should start, I know it comes with a big shed and I'm a little hesitant about that.

As for Nizoral shampoo, that's one of the Big Three I haven't done much research on. My understanding is that it doesn't do much but supplement the other two.

As for finasteride, I'm only 18. I'm not worried about sexual side effects but moreso messing up growth and hormones and what not. If worst comes to worst, I'd talk to my doctor about it.

That's my story.

kuca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In your case it s probably best to use only finasteride without minoxidil

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair is close to yours. I'm running 1.25mg proscar and nizoral 2-3 times a week. Good luck

shookwun

Reaction score
On the plus side, at least you still got your temple points intact which helps with pulling off the NW2.

Once those temple points go ontop of having a receeding hairline, that's when you start to look like ****!

get on meds

huck77

Reaction score
In your case it s probably best to use only finasteride without minoxidil

That seems like pretty drastic advice.
I was hoping for some more opinions mostly on treatment, when to start, what to use, and what I should expect.

I don't think it's a good idea to go on finasteride at 18.

And why would NOT using minoxidil benefit me.

- - - Updated - - -

On the plus side, at least you still got your temple points intact which helps with pulling off the NW2.

Once those temple points go ontop of having a receeding hairline, that's when you start to look like ****!

get on meds

What meds? Hoping for some more explanation and advice, particularly adequate, before I take the plunge.

kuca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well finasteride adress couse of baldness dht and it s used for maintence while minoxidil doesn t adress dht
I m 20 years old and had been on finasteride since 19

huck77

Reaction score
Well finasteride adress couse of baldness dht and it s used for maintence while minoxidil doesn t adress dht
I m 20 years old and had been on finasteride since 19

Yes, finasteride is the only way to stop baldness, but from what I've learned it's a death sentence to get on it before 21. I understand you may not have gotten sides at 19, but I'm not willing to take that risk until I'm sure I'm done growing.

You say minoxidil doesn't address DHT, when in fact it regrows and keeps hair growing, whether DHT is attacking it or not. If it's an illusion, oh well, you can always had finasteride after you've had regrowth.

I suppose what I'm saying is, can anyone confirm that just doing minoxidil would be beneficial for me? I really like a detailed answer.
For a more trivial question, is foam or liquid better. I know ones more expensive, and liquid and dry out your scalp, but is there a clear advantage to using one or the other?

armyknife

Reaction score
Hey man welcome to the forums, your hair loss is REALLY similar to mine, except mine is way worse on the sides of my head than at the top but my scalp is incredibly itchy.

huck77

Reaction score
Hey man welcome to the forums, your hair loss is REALLY similar to mine, except mine is way worse on the sides of my head than at the top but my scalp is incredibly itchy.

Thanks man.

Yeah I get itchy scalp occasionally too. What's your regime?

trunks

Reaction score
Hi

You obviously need to start some kind of therapy if you want to keep your hair. Nice that you are aware of that :D

1) start using minoxidil, it is not that pricey, give it a 6 months trial, there is a chance that you are good responder, shedding is actually a good sign, after 6 month you will be able to easily tell if this works or not. It is better to try this than just wait for being bald in twenties, isnt it? :)

2) Additionally you could use herbal shampoo with rosmarinus officinalis, nettle, saw palmeto, or another herbal, natural DHT blocker - it is also quite cheap

If on this treatment after 6 monts your hair hair loss will continue, than go to good dermatologist and ask him about finasteride, try starting with really low dose and if there wont be side effects just keep your hair with finasteride and minoxidil until beter treatments come. (hopefuly in 5 years xd)

I am using 5% minoxidil and shampoo with rosmarinus officinalis, arnica montana, and nettle root for 5 months and effects are amazing, scalp itch has completly gone, and my hair are thicker than before, although my scalp is little bit dry (because of DHT inhibition and ethanol) but I my hairloss stoped(maybe even i ve got a little regrowth) and thats means a lot for me :)

huck77

Reaction score
Hi

You obviously need to start some kind of therapy if you want to keep your hair. Nice that you are aware of that :D

1) start using minoxidil, it is not that pricey, give it a 6 months trial, there is a chance that you are good responder, shedding is actually a good sign, after 6 month you will be able to easily tell if this works or not. It is better to try this than just wait for being bald in twenties, isnt it? :)

2) Additionally you could use herbal shampoo with rosmarinus officinalis, nettle, saw palmeto, or another herbal, natural DHT blocker - it is also quite cheap

If on this treatment after 6 monts your hair hair loss will continue, than go to good dermatologist and ask him about finasteride, try starting with really low dose and if there wont be side effects just keep your hair with finasteride and minoxidil until beter treatments come. (hopefuly in 5 years xd)

I am using 5% minoxidil and shampoo with rosmarinus officinalis, arnica montana, and nettle root for 5 months and effects are amazing, scalp itch has completly gone, and my hair are thicker than before, although my scalp is little bit dry (because of DHT inhibition and ethanol) but I my hairloss stoped(maybe even i ve got a little regrowth) and thats means a lot for me :)

Thanks so much. Would you mind linking a website for a natural DHT blocker to buy? I do like natural supplements even if they are placebos.

- - - Updated - - -

Blond diffuse hair looks really bad if it's too short.

Our scalps have more follicles than most men, including men born with dark hair or red hair, and including other races.

However, that's not aways a good thing. Because of this, the follicles are thinner than other men. That's why when it's short,
and diffuse, it really sticks out. And it looks worse because our scalp is very easy to see.

Personally, I would recommend growing it out longer.

Thanks man, though a little offended cause my hair really isn't diffusing all that bad, it's always been thin.

I actually just had extremely long hair and got tired of it.